Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history?
Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history?
I have a catholic friend who insists that the catholic curch has done nothing wrong throughout history. He denies that priests ever rape children the majority of the time, and occasionally says that it was a bad priest, but that does not reflect on the catholic faith. It would be cool if someone could help me out, and give me some good information about the catholic churches fucked up history. I told him some stories, but guess it was not good enough. Please help me! He is driving me crazy with his ignorance
Love Logic <3
RE: Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history?
Quote:I have a catholic friend who insists that the catholic curch has done nothing wrong throughout history.

Your 'friend' is a fucking idiot.
I'm certain the crusades were funded by catholics. he Spanish inquisition may or may not have been protestant. We do know that, whether or not pedophile catholics are in the majority, that they are protected by the church instead of excommunicated. They just get shuffled around when they get caught. There was also widespread killing of protestants in Europe, though the protestants were killing catholics as well.

Yes christianity, regardless of flavor, as done horrible things. Despite Jesus preaching about loving your enemy, christians typically commit violence against other groups for not believing in their god.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm)LoveLogicalLife Wrote: I have a catholic friend who insists that the catholic curch has done nothing wrong throughout history. He denies that priests ever rape children the majority of the time, and occasionally says that it was a bad priest, but that does not reflect on the catholic faith. It would be cool if someone could help me out, and give me some good information about the catholic churches fucked up history. I told him some stories, but guess it was not good enough. Please help me! He is driving me crazy with his ignorance

I don't think you need to be very educated in anything to refute that. Google will do all. But just to help you on your way---look up the crusades, the inquisition, nepotism among popes, missionaries in Africa and South America, sexual excesses of monks during the middle ages, the Catholic view of slavery in the 1600-1800s, the sale of indulgences, the propesity for people who've taken a vow of poverty to buy gold things, faked relics. . .
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
What do we look like, wikipedia? I'm sure you can research this on your own. I am less sure that it will make a difference to your friend. True believers tend to overlook all flaws in something.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
In Southern Italy, priests sometimes "honor" local mafia bosses by doing an "inchino" (bowing) before their homes with the patron saint's statue during the usual processions on the saint's day.

This way, they acknowledge the boss's power and "legitimate" his authority. Ain't that fucked up...
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm)LoveLogicalLife Wrote: I have a catholic friend who insists that the catholic curch has done nothing wrong throughout history. He denies that priests ever rape children the majority of the time, and occasionally says that it was a bad priest, but that does not reflect on the catholic faith. It would be cool if someone could help me out, and give me some good information about the catholic churches fucked up history. I told him some stories, but guess it was not good enough. Please help me! He is driving me crazy with his ignorance

Honestly, anyone this ignorant isn't worth wasting time over.

If you seriously need info though, it's pretty easy to google:

http://listverse.com/2011/06/08/top-10-s...c-history/
http://www.alternet.org/belief/50-reason...lic-church
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/th...n-2156117/

There are many histories to consult. Google, Catholic history, rule of the whores and the bad popes. Most of the worst comes from Catholic historians etc from centuries ago. Most better modern histories reference these original sources.

Here's an example
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatica...can30a.htm
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain

Nope, your friend is correct.

The Catholic Church is great!

People are wonderful!

Business is booming!

Politicians are honest!
This lengthy, but incomplete list isn't purely Catholic. Anything before 1517 must be though. Has a good list of references. Doesn't even mention child fucking.

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

BTW, how does your friend describe the smell of his prostate?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Former Catholic MR. Macabre 666 12 1271 October 2, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  How very christian of you. no one 13 1423 August 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 648 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  What book has the most history? georgecarlin 43 5631 May 13, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2874 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 674 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 791 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23598 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7216 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22457 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian