Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think God is authoritarian?
Do you think God is authoritarian?
Let me explain; I personally, like most of us, believe God does not exist, with the way he is described to be being so faulty and all. Now, God is described as being all-loving, yet he is mostly human mentally as many have described him as, including his actions of punishment on humans and all. Just like those who still support Donald J. Trump, even with all the bad things he has done, people just look past the faults of a nonexistent being, whether it be in his interactions with humans and their affairs or as a being with many paradoxes and still follow him, anyway, saying he is perfect. Thing is, God was conceived by humans, so there are bound to be faults in what he is as described by humans, and with that, perfection, contrary to what people who first thought of him long ago, is subjective and relative. Now...

Do you think God is more like an authoritarian figure, and absolute monarchy, and a dictatorship; if in a subtle way? I mean, even though I say he is just a mental predisposition humans have, a psychological need, people act like they need to follow him, and are rather brainwashed by others who believe in him as they talk them into following him despite his nonexistence. This is just like those who still follow Trump, or more so, it is like those who can't stand up to Trump. These people are manipulated to the point that they think God can do no wrong. With all that, despite God being described as all-loving (which has contradictions, anyway), he has a big hold on a lot of people in the world. Yes, a nonexistent being has a hold on lots of people in the world. And that all includes the fact that God is said to have given humans free will, yet it is also said that humans must follow God if they don't want to go to Hell. 

While God being authoritarian may not be a regime of fear but rather people thinking everything is okay and everything is good, it is, in a way, like people's minds were brainwashed by God, just like what an authoritarian leader would do. Not only does that take away from free will (which, as myself and some people believe here, does not exist anyway), but it takes away from people being smart, being sapient, as humans are supposed to be. To me, it is as if this God being is making people dumb, even though he granted humans the gift of intelligence, to make sure they don't stop following him, all for his own gain. In fact, I would even accuse God of being like the Devil in that regard, being an entity that seems good and perfect, but is just using humans for his own gain. It does not help that God does nothing and does not seem to care about most of the bad things happening to people (including good people), like wars, murder and all. Again, he has a grip on a lot of people despite being nonexistent. He is more like a dictator, if a subtle one, who asks for people's support and yet gives nothing in return a lot of the time. He is said to be good and perfect, but in the end, he is no different from people like Trump or any authoritarian person.

Do you see what I mean here? If so, what do you all think of this?

More so, what I am trying to ask from all this is...

Don't you all find it funny that a nonexistent being like God has a hold on so many people in this world, in a way like an authoritarian person?
RE: Do you think God is authoritarian?
There is no god so this isn't even a valid question.

Have you noticed this is an atheist forum?  Some people seem to miss that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 5, 2023 at 7:52 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: There is no god so this isn't even a valid question.

Have you noticed this is an atheist forum?  Some people seem to miss that.

Maybe this belonged more in the Religion thread, but, with no offense to you, if you read what I said, I said he was nonexistent, possibly more than once.

And this is coming from an atheist, myself. Plus, the question is more metaphorical, for a lack of a better word, than literal.
(December 5, 2023 at 7:42 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Do you think God is more like an authoritarian figure, and absolute monarchy, and a dictatorship; if in a subtle way?

People have pictured God in a lot of different ways. 

The God that Hitchens describes, and that people tend to argue against on this forum, is certainly a tyrant. As far as I can tell, this view of God comes from a literal reading of the Old Testament and some fire-and-brimstone type preachers.

The God of Plato, of Aristotle, of Augustine, of Dante, and many etc., is not at all a tyrant or authority figure.
(December 5, 2023 at 8:04 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(December 5, 2023 at 7:42 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Do you think God is more like an authoritarian figure, and absolute monarchy, and a dictatorship; if in a subtle way?

People have pictured God in a lot of different ways. 

The God that Hitchens describes, and that people tend to argue against on this forum, is certainly a tyrant. As far as I can tell, this view of God comes from a literal reading of the Old Testament and some fire-and-brimstone type preachers.

The God of Plato, of Aristotle, of Augustine, of Dante, and many etc., is not at all a tyrant or authority figure.

I guess i should have clarified. I did mean God of modern religions, mostly Christianity, in this case.

But to take a step back, I guess what I did mean when I asked this question, what I really meant, was (and I simply put)...

Don't you all find it funny that a nonexistent being like God has a hold on so many people in this world, in a way like an authoritarian person?
(December 5, 2023 at 8:09 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Don't you all find it funny that a nonexistent being like God has a hold on so many people in this world, in a way like an authoritarian person?

I see what you mean now.

That's more of a sociology question, or maybe anthropology. I haven't read enough about that stuff to comment, so I'll leave it to others.
In a rational world this would not be a topic.
(December 5, 2023 at 8:19 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(December 5, 2023 at 8:09 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Don't you all find it funny that a nonexistent being like God has a hold on so many people in this world, in a way like an authoritarian person?

I see what you mean now.

That's more of a sociology question, or maybe anthropology. I haven't read enough about that stuff to comment, so I'll leave it to others.

Thanks for your post.

I am going to edit this into the original post of this topic. If this is a more scientific question, though, should this be moved to the science forums?
As described in the Bible (whether taken literally or figuratively) I don’t see how God be be anything other than a megalomaniac authoritarian. He dictates how people should eat, dress, pray, wear their hair, marry, raise crops, and so on and so on. The penalty for infraction of the rules is depressingly similar - death. Death by drowning, death by burning, death by stoning, death by wild animal…death, death, death, both in the here-and-now and in the Yet To Be.

How does this murderous maniac of a deity differ in any significant way from Kim Jong Un?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 5, 2023 at 8:21 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(December 5, 2023 at 8:19 pm)Belacqua Wrote: I see what you mean now.

Thanks for your post.

I am going to edit this into the original post of this topic. If this is a more scientific question, though, should this be moved to the science forums?

Don't really think this belongs in 'science'.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5389 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1071 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7038 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7337 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38801 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1608 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5502 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 117611 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee