Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 23, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Invention Of Lying Concept
The Invention Of Lying Concept
The Invention Of Lying movie by Ricky Gervais is interesting to me due to it's concept more than anything. Yes, it shows the typical stupidity of Christianity, but what I find fascinating is how it all began in the first place.

So, in a world where people are incapable of lying, the main character lies to his Mother on her death bed that she is going to a great place after her death where she will be reunited with lost loved ones and surrounded by beautiful scenery in the wonderful world of "heaven"

What's so bad about that? Yes, things get out of hand later in the movie, but looking at just that one scene, what is the harm? We lie all the time for various reasons, and sometimes with good intent, just to make someone feel better, and in this case she is dying anyway, so why not make her feel like it's not really the end....that she has something to look forward to?

My own Mother was Christian, but was aware of my thoughts on religion, and we respected each other (after her initial shock, of course) and she was open to my way of thinking as she entered her 70's. However, as she laid in the hospital bed, in pain and dying, I would have said or done anything to make her feel better, regardless of my own personal views.

What would you do? Have you done anything similar in the past? Share your thoughts on what would be the last lie you ever told a person.
It will all be over soon...
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept
Regarding your death-bed point specifically, I've never had a similar encounter. Surprising, really, considering the field in which I work, but I think I would let the person hear what s/he wanted in that situation.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I wholeheartedly agree with sending people off to whatever heaven they believe in. I hope that I have one of those good trips in my last moments, though I suspect that they're less common than we're lead to believe. If I see the fuckin boats filled up with everyone I lost I don't want anyone interrupting my good time....and I in turn promise not to interrupt their good time at my wake.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
At the time of death, the more peace and comfort we can offer the dying person, the better.

It is certainly not the time to try for conversion/deconversion. The focus should be on the easiest death possible...physically and emotionally.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Then again, you never know the consequences of your acts. Perhaps that pious grandmother is hoping someone will assure them that it's all a lie, and they'll just blissfully transit to nothingness at death.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Also, (Christian) beliefs in the afterlife are not frequently consoling, but contra productive because of hell. People near death can obsess much more with the eternal punishment than the awards. For example, I've heard a story of some old woman who was near death and was obsessed with some lie she said in the past that she was worried she was going to Hell because of it. They even called a priest to atone her, but it didn't help. Or like when you see old people going to church every day for the same reasons.

And to me it seems that heaven is more of a consolidation for the living than dying people. If someone lived for a few decades, he or she doesn't mind if there's nothing out there.

Plus, death comes to people in different forms. Some people pretend they're not going to die and some people are already out of their minds, so these questions of what I would do seem improbable.

All that said, being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in some sort of afterlife. I guess it would be a godless afterlife.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
If there is an afterlife, it's certainly a godless one. I think gods need to get their own gig and stop lampreying all over the place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(Yesterday at 11:54 am)Asmodeus Wrote: The Invention Of Lying movie by Ricky Gervais is interesting to me due to it's concept more than anything. Yes, it shows the typical stupidity of Christianity, but what I find fascinating is how it all began in the first place.

So, in a world where people are incapable of lying, the main character lies to his Mother on her death bed that she is going to a great place after her death where she will be reunited with lost loved ones and surrounded by beautiful scenery in the wonderful world of "heaven"

What's so bad about that? Yes, things get out of hand later in the movie, but looking at just that one scene, what is the harm? We lie all the time for various reasons, and sometimes with good intent, just to make someone feel better, and in this case she is dying anyway, so why not make her feel like it's not really the end....that she has something to look forward to?

My own Mother was Christian, but was aware of my thoughts on religion, and we respected each other (after her initial shock, of course) and she was open to my way of thinking as she entered her 70's. However, as she laid in the hospital bed, in pain and dying, I would have said or done anything to make her feel better, regardless of my own personal views.

What would you do? Have you done anything similar in the past? Share your thoughts on what would be the last lie you ever told a person.
The harm comes later, after you fail to challenge the idea that someone knows what a deity wants, and then insist you can't disagree.

“Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse.”

Christopher Hitchens...

The timing can be tricky, and like you, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I am not going to wait until I (or anyone else) is being burned as a heretic, or witch, (literally or metaphorically), they can fuck that...sky high.  Tut Tut
It's not like they're gonna tell anyone you played along.
I play along for a little while, then the mask slips.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The concept of "selling out" in music - Let's discuss it Dystopia 30 5182 July 20, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Regina
  A story concept Lemonvariable72 2 1122 October 3, 2013 at 8:29 am
Last Post: John V
  War of the Dead: A CoH zombie fiction novel concept Creed of Heresy 2 1316 March 29, 2013 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy