Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Petition the BSA to change its policy of discrimination
Petition the BSA to change its policy of discrimination
Stop the Boy Scouts of America's Discrimination Against Atheists and Agnostics!

Please sign this petition at Change.org:
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the...-agnostics
Quote:OVERVIEW

The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nation's largest not-for-profits, discriminates against atheists and agnostics and has done so for years. 16.1% of America identifies themself as agnostic or atheist, so the Boy Scouts of America is discriminating against quite a sizable minority. The Boy Scouts of America also claims they are open to different religions, which is true. But the irreligious are completely left out. Stop this discrimination, and help us take religion out of the picture.

The Boy Scouts of America also claims they are open to different religions, which is true. But the irreligious are completely left out. Stop this discrimination, and help us take religion out of the picture.

My son's den leader invited me to leadership training because she felt I would be a great candidate to become a Scout leader. I had to let her know that, because I'm an atheist, they don't want people like me as role models:

Youth and Adult Volunteers
Boy Scouts of America believes that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. Accordingly, youth members and adult volunteer leaders of Boy Scouts of America obligate themselves to do their duty to God and be reverent as embodied in the Scout Oath and the Scout Law. Leaders also must subscribe to the Declaration of Religious Principle. Because of its views concerning the duty to God, Boy Scouts of America believes that an atheist or agnostic is not an appropriate role model of the Scout Oath and Law for adolescent boys. Because of Scouting's methods and beliefs, Scouting does not accept atheists and agnostics as members or adult volunteer leaders. (emphasis mine)

Remember: I did not join this organization; my son did. He's 7 and far too young to be concerned with the whole atheists vs. theists argument. He just wants to be a Cub Scout because he has friends in his den and he's enjoying the activities and doing positive things for the community. I'm not going to tell him, "Sorry, you can't join because your dad is an atheist." I'm letting him do something he enjoys. I myself was a Scout when I was a kid and I loved it, too. It helps build character and it really is a lot of fun and keeps kids busy doing things that other organizations don't. I wish there was an alternative to them, but there's not. At least none that I have found. Anyway, this petition is being sent to Chief Scout Executive, Boy Scouts of America (Robert J. Mazzuca) and President, Boy Scouts of America (Rex Tillerson).

The BSA may be private, but they do benefit from government support. And they're not a church or a cult; they're supposed to be about outdoorsmanship, skills training, leadership, teamwork, education and character building. Thus, their policy of discrimination is WRONG, because by doing so, they're actually encouraging their own members to also be discriminatory against people like us, and that needs to change. So please sign the petition above and share it with your friends and family. Thank you.
RE: Petition the BSA to change its policy of discrimination
I would rather see any and all government help to this organization withheld until they modernize
The BSA is allowed to have it both ways.

When appealing for government support, congressional charter, etc. that's when they're a public charity.

When defending their policy of discrimination against atheists and gays, that's when they're a private country club.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I'm with the Rev. It's a private organization which should lose its tax exempt status ( as should all fucking churches) if they fail to comply with all public laws.

Freedom of Association is a constitutional right...but we do not have to subsidize the bastards.
(April 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: The BSA is allowed to have it both ways.

When appealing for government support, congressional charter, etc. that's when they're a public charity.

When defending their policy of discrimination against atheists and gays, that's when they're a private country club.

Of course. Certain religious groups get special treatment under the law and above the law.
Sorry, I guess I should've posted this in the News & Activism forum. Didn't see that until after it was posted...
Don't worry about it.

No one gets very excited about that kind of stuff around here.
I think it's an honorable thing to do, but let's face it: online petitions are a waste of time. Regular petitions may or may not have any effect, but with online petitions there's absolutely no way to verify that everyone who signs it is really who they say they are, and that the "signatures" aren't manufactured out of the phone book. And you can send all the petitions you could possibly send to the BSA, but there's still nothing which says they have to pay attention to any of it.

I really don't want to sound like a downer or a Negative Nellie, but I'm just being realistic. Online petitions are about the same as prayer. It makes the person doing it think they're actually making a difference, but there may not be anyone paying attention to it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(April 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(April 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: The BSA is allowed to have it both ways.

Of course. Certain religious groups get special treatment under the law and above the law.

Yes, churches can perform the same chameleon trick of being whatever they need to be at that moment, having their tax deductible cake and eating it too.

Someone on YouTube once suggested that tax-free status for religions is a violation of the 1st Amendment. By deciding what is or isn't a religion, government is establishing religions.

Hey, it's my faith we live in a natural universe and my den is also my chapel where I preach my sermons to YouTube. Can my home be declared a church so I don't have to pay property tax?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
DT is right. Online petitions are the equivalent of prayer. Totally fucking useless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 517 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 629 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3295 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3268 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2710 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1639 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20282 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5094 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12533 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3021 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K