Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God
Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God
The greatest answer I have ever seen on the "What would change your mind?" or "what if you're wrong?" question regarding God's existence:

Matt Dilahunty Wrote:The "What would change your mind" question came up again in e-mail. I've provided an answer many times, but the following version might be worth thinking about:

"I don't know what would change my mind, and I don't need to know. In fact, it would be arrogant for me to presume that I could even come up with an answer, because that presumes that I'm sufficiently knowledgeable that I can tell the difference between 'a vastly superior technology that is beyond my understanding' and 'the powers of a god'.
But, if there is a god, that god should know exactly what it would take to change my mind...and that god should be capable of doing whatever it would take. The fact that this hasn't happened can only mean one of two things:
1. No such god exists.
2. Whatever god exists doesn't care to convince me, at this time.
In either case, it's not my problem and there's nothing I can do about it. Meanwhile, all of those believers who think that there is a god who does want me to know that he exists - are clearly, obviously, undeniably... wrong."

From his Facebook. Fucking awesome as fuck, IMO.

What do you guys think? Big Grin
RE: Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God
I like Matt. He makes a lot of really good points, and often makes Christians that are not well versed in their faith look dumb.

To answer your question, I suspect the moments immediately following his passing in this life will change his mind.
I suspect they won't.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Actually, I'll retract that. I suspect that "the moments immediately following his passing in this life" actually will change his mind - from a living one to a dead one.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 27, 2017 at 5:46 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: To answer your question, I suspect the moments immediately following his passing in this life will change his mind.

Lol. Get the tape recorder he's gonna renounce his atheism and say "YES JESUS IS LORD!" LOL

....nah

Oh, has anyone seen this yet?

(January 27, 2017 at 5:46 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: I like Matt.  He makes a lot of really good points, and often makes Christians that are not well versed in their faith look dumb.

To answer your question, I suspect the moments immediately following his passing in this life will change his mind.

So, all Christians, then. Because of all the contradictions and falsehoods, technically it's impossible for anyone to really 'get it'.

And can you not give it a rest with this hell bullshit already? Your god is a complete asshole to even conceive of something like that, let alone sending anyone there for any reason. Even Lucifer, for fuck's sake, and that's not even clearly portrayed the way his story goes. Threatening others is no way to convince them you're right (unless they're at or below your level, and that's saying something) and just makes you look like an asshole. But I guess we'll all be seeing you in hell, right, because your odds of not going there are roughly 1 in 7.5 billion, since that's how many different brands of beliefs there are (i.e. human minds capable of conceiving of things.) I'll keep a seat warm for you. Watch out though, I might put a thumbtack on it too. I'm fun like that.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I suspect that the moments immediately following Pete's passing in this life will change his mind. He'll realize that the True Goddess is actually me.

Dumb statements are dumb.
(January 28, 2017 at 6:20 pm)Astonished Wrote:
(January 27, 2017 at 5:46 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: I like Matt.  He makes a lot of really good points, and often makes Christians that are not well versed in their faith look dumb.

So, all Christians, then. Because of all the contradictions and falsehoods, technically it's impossible for anyone to really 'get it'.

And can you not give it a rest with this hell bullshit already? Your god is a complete asshole to even conceive of something like that, let alone sending anyone there for any reason. Even Lucifer, for fuck's sake, and that's not even clearly portrayed the way his story goes. Threatening others is no way to convince them you're right (unless they're at or below your level, and that's saying something) and just makes you look like an asshole. But I guess we'll all be seeing you in hell, right, because your odds of not going there are roughly 1 in 7.5 billion, since that's how many different brands of beliefs there are (i.e. human minds capable of conceiving of things.) I'll keep a seat warm for you. Watch out though, I might put a thumbtack on it too. I'm fun like that.

Wow, you are one angry person my friend. I never mentioned any of what you are ranting on about.

Typical.
Typical of Astonished, or typical of atheists?

I suspect the moments immediately following his passing will be quite eventful. None of said events will invo!ve him. Same with you Pete Rose. Your last breath....fade to black.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3436 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 9030 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 511 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 1912 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3218 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3264 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6372 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2631 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1702 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2582 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B