Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic...
Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic...
Hello folks! (sorry this is gonna be very long. TL;DR on the bottom)

Last year I held an account here of which I cannot access but I do not care to access it sense I believe it reflects a past self who I no longer identify with. But nevertheless, I suppose this can be a good opportunity to flip over a new leaf away from all the anger and confusion I was in after leaving the church, quickly followed by my divorce and I'm only 23 at this point.  So to bring us up to speed here's a couple things we should know: 

1) I was raised Mormon.
2) I was a true believer and intended to be Mormon forever regardless the doubts I had. 
3) Needless to say I didn't go on a mission at 19 and instead I married a woman under the advise of the church due to fornication by the age of 20 but we were also just young and dumb to begin with so it isn't all the churches fault. Just one of those silly things. 
4) Three months after marriage we left the church. Typical shunning, guilt tripping, and harsh words were shared by both parties. I certainly played the instigator sometimes and could have been a whole lot more cool headed. Needless to say, many relationships deteriorated. 
5) I formally resigned from the church and by the age of 22 I was officially divorced. 
6) I guess due to the stress of my physical health and the deterioration of mental health after leaving the church and divorce I had plunged into a pretty bad spot and became someone trapped in anger, depression, and alcohol and marijuana abuse.
7) I found a girlfriend quickly after divorce and was quickly kicked out of my parents home. My father raised the issue of alcohol and said that was the reason which is completely understandable since I am diabetic and would drink on a daily basis and then heavily on the weekends. But then my mother said she didn't think I was that bad but if I am honest with myself I can admit that I am probably an alcoholic. What I find curious though is that the day my father kicked me out it was all due to because I didn't go to church with them one Sunday to "support my mothers primary program" and instead went to go meet my girlfriend's family in a near by city. 
8) Then I was living with my girlfriend and then I found a trailer to live in. My girlfriend gets kicked out of her crazy pot grower mother's house. I really wish my girlfriend of 5 months had moved in with her grandma instead but she moved in with me but I should have been honest with her from the beginning. 
9) Then I went through a depressive phase due to pot and alcohol and contemplated going back to the church, moving my girlfriend and I into my parents to have a better place for her and then committing back to the Mormon life. So I started going back to church, forcing my girlfriend to go, moved into my parents house with her, started talking to the Bishop of the church, and then taking lessons from the missionaries again. 
10) Then after visiting Spain with my family I had a lot of time to think and so I broke up with my girlfriend on Sunday. I feel absolutely terrible about it. She really loved me and it really broke her heart. I know my parents are really upset that I broke up with her mainly because she told them that she was going to join the church too only because I was starting to force her into it but I kind of felt like it was all a lie. That I was living a lie. Making a lie. Conforming to a lie with the whole church thing. Trying to make my family happy again and "whole." Trying to go back to the church so then my parents would actually help me get my life on track...to feel closer to them again...to not feel like the black sheep anymore...to get back into the "perfect" Mormon world....but I can't...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now I guess I'm just trying to focus on me. I'm not perfect. People have done mean things to me in the past but I have also done mean things. I've dealt with assholes and I've been the asshole. But now all I want to do is just be me. The fact of the matter is, the way my brain functions, is that I am completely Agnostic, a naturalist, a science enthusiast. All of this is so much more clearer after I second guessed it again. I just want to go forward and focus on getting a new job and going to school for computer science, starting a life, and discover myself to the fullest. My relationship with my parents isn't the best. I love them to death they still do a lot for me but we can't really speak about anything. It's so strange. They pay for my trip to Spain to see family, they're gonna help me with some dental surgery, my father says he wants to pay for this semester I go back to school (but I want to), and I live with them...we can't talk to much. I know they love me but we just don't identify with each other any more. But this Sunday I'm not going to church, instead I'm gonna focus on education and applying for new jobs. I'm afraid that I will get kicked out again because I refuse to be Mormon but I'm hoping after some time things will settle and they'll see me for me instead of the depressed ex-mormon apostate "me." I just don't want to argue anymore. I want to live in peace but I am 23 and I realize that I am supposed to be a man by now and if I can't have peace with my family and can't receive help because I refuse to be Mormon then I fully admit to the fact that I may just have conjure up the cash and find a room to rent and rough it on my own...but I expect that. 

TL;DR: Life time Mormon, divorced, left church 1.5 years ago, got new girlfriend, contemplated going back to the church, decided I couldn't, broke up with girlfriend, not going to follow through with going back to church regardless of family opinion, my past is rough, but all I want now is an education, a new job, and peace moving into the person who I know I really am and not the person who was destroyed by loss of faith, divorce, alcohol abuse, and depression.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic...
Hey LivingNumbers - I wasn't on the forum when you were here before - welcome back.
You are young and the world is wide. You're not a destroyed person. Go to school and get your education. I don't know if your family will fully accept you as an ex-Mormon (it's possible they won't). Education is the key to your freedom. May I also suggest staying single for awhile and - as you said - focus on yourself. Good luck! Smile
Quote:1) I was raised Mormon.

You poor bastard.  Well, you can get better now.
Welcome back long name guy Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Although my present personality is perfect in every way, it might surprise you to find out that once upon a time it wasn't. And that was partly because of negative influences on me as an adolescent had rubbed off as well. I think you have a few things to deal with here, probably getting the 'selfishness factor' in check to begin with. But you really need to identify the relationships you have between yourself and others - including with your parents and the church. It sounds as if some of those are toxic for both you and others. Excommunication may be something you need to worry about as well. If you start by being honest with yourself you will be able to start making the progress you need.

Personal change is not an easy thing for many people, so you'll need to work out how to go about it in a way that's right for you.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(July 6, 2016 at 12:13 am)Aractus Wrote: Although my present personality is perfect in every way, it might surprise you to find out that once upon a time it wasn't. And that was partly because of negative influences on me as an adolescent had rubbed off as well. I think you have a few things to deal with here, probably getting the 'selfishness factor' in check to begin with. But you really need to identify the relationships you have between yourself and others - including with your parents and the church. It sounds as if some of those are toxic for both you and others. Excommunication may be something you need to worry about as well. If you start by being honest with yourself you will be able to start making the progress you need.

Personal change is not an easy thing for many people, so you'll need to work out how to go about it in a way that's right for you.

Fortunately, I've resigned so there is no chance of excomm. 

And...you are absolutely right. Now that I am done running away from that "dreadful truth" which is inherently mine and have come down to accept what was, what is, and what will never be I feel as if I just wander off in my books, go to work, and go to school in the most introverted, passive way I might earn my way through this awkwardness. I guess I have only just started on the whole "to thine own self be true" thing. Thank you very much for your advice.
Welcome back.

I'm an agnostic atheist, personally.
Dying to live, living to die.
I see you like Physics.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Welcome back LN Smile

Thanks very much for sharing your story with us.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 5, 2016 at 10:23 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: Hey LivingNumbers - I wasn't on the forum when you were here before - welcome back.
You are young and the world is wide. You're not a destroyed person. Go to school and get your education. I don't know if your family will fully accept you as an ex-Mormon (it's possible they won't). Education is the key to your freedom. May I also suggest staying single for awhile and - as you said - focus on yourself. Good luck!  Smile

Thank you for the advice. I hope so myself but I am sure that if I am working, studying, and passively keeping to myself and paying rent that will satisfy the parents. But I'll have some cash ready in the the case that it's no longer compatible anymore. And yes I'll be keeping away from relationships for a while. I may not be a relationship type of person...but I guess I'm figuring that out. haha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 787 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 515 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3294 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3267 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9344 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20269 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1376 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5088 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Well that was a short friendship Doubting Thomas 13 1447 January 21, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 2437 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K