Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical belief under discrimination?
Philosophical belief under discrimination?
Probably the oddest story I've come across all month, people are talking about this in my workplace and I could really do with your opinion on this. Ex-BBC employee Devan Maistry is trying to open a can of worms here with regards to unfair dismissal over his supposed philosophical beliefs.

Quote:An employment tribunal has held that a former BBC employee's belief in the "higher purpose" of the broadcaster is a philosophical belief under discrimination legislation.

Link to full article:
http://www.equalitylaw.co.uk/news/1069/6...r-purpose/

Now I'm well aware that religious beliefs are protected in the workplace and employers have to respect them under equality laws in the UK, but Devan is holding strong views as to how the organisation should actually be operating. Do you think the tribunal should have taken Maistry's claim seriously? They certainly seem to think he has a case as they argue his belief was 'genuine'.

This is bizarre, I mean suppose you are dismissed, and you take legal action against your employer on the grounds that the business should have a "higher purpose", other than to make money or provide a service and so on.
RE: Philosophical belief under discrimination?
I think the tribunal needs to be taken outdoors, beaten with a stick for several hours, and then told to examine the issue again.
The full facts are not given.He is claiming discrimination on age as well as his beliefs. The tribunal has found that his beliefs are genuinely held, that is all.
He hasn't won the case yet, so let's wait and see what happens. Many of these tribunal cases are settled before the actual final hearing.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Again, this is obviously British law so would someone enlighten me on what someone's "beliefs" have to do with anything?

In the US someone's beliefs ( and we have some fucking winners running around unsupervised ) are irrelevant. For example, you can believe in sacrificing virgins to the Moon goddess but as long as you don't go out and do it, so what?

Speech ( or belief) is one thing and conduct is another.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3293 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1718 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 301 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2545 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15365 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1739 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1601 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2093 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 619 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12410 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb