Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:35 am

Poll: What is this?
This poll is closed.
7.14%
2 7.14%
dont
92.86%
26 92.86%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Atheism Intellectual Cowardice?
Is Atheism Intellectual Cowardice?
Intellectually, there is not much difference between an Atheist and a Theist. As a species we have only existed for a miniscule amount of time compared to the age of the universe(~14 Billion years according to Scientists). Of this time we have only been studying Science in a rigorous sense for ~ 300 years. It is no exageration to say that, although we have learned a lot in that time, we have much to learn in the future. In fact, it is not just that we do not know everything, but we do not even know how much we don't know.

From this it follows that a claim that God does not exist can only be made on the grounds of probability, based upon current scientific knowledge. But probability is only based upon uncertainty and therefore, any claim that God does not exist must be, in the end, a belief (even if based upon the latest empirical and scientific evidence). From this perspective an Atheist and a Theist both share something in common - belief.

Atheism cannot, therefore, be ascerted based upon certain knowledge. Therefore, it follows that the truly honest position of any member of humanity is Agnostic. It is intellectual cowardice, on the part of Atheists, not to accept the rational conclusions that reason leads to - namely, that no definitive statement can be about the existence/or not of God, due to lack of knowledge.
RE: Is Atheism Intellectual Cowardice?
So promiscuous credulity is courage while intellectual rigor is cowardess?

It's funny that the very christians imbeciles whose very "faith" is conclusive evidence of credulity so great that it stands ready to believe just about anything, should issue warning with every appearence of sincerity, in this very forum no less, against rejection of their bullshit because that would open the way for you to believe "anything".

So are the christians theists courageous or cowardly, even by your definition?

Now fuck off and go shove your cowardly credulity up your ass and slink back to your friendly intellectual worms in your church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIYj-QAOq20
What a waste of pixels.
(May 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm)Chuck Wrote: Fuck off. So promiscuous credulity is courage while intellectual rigor is cowardess? Go shove your cowardly credulity up your ass and slink back to your friendly intellectual worms in your church.

Thank you for your eloquent argument!
(May 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm)diffidus Wrote:
(May 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm)Chuck Wrote: Fuck off. So promiscuous credulity is courage while intellectual rigor is cowardess? Go shove your cowardly credulity up your ass and slink back to your friendly intellectual worms in your church.

You are not welcome.

My argument is not pro religeon !!
(May 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm)diffidus Wrote:
(May 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm)Welsh cake Wrote:

No, it's just pro religious credulity. It's like saying I am not pro-disease, but I am pro the weakening of immune system.
(May 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(May 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm)diffidus Wrote:

You are not welcome.

How sad. I thought that Athiests were a growing body of people made up from enlightenment thinking and humanists. I see you are an exclusive group who are not prepared for rational argument but much more engaged in expletives and uncivil responses. You must be a very small group indeed. (PS: my argument was not pro-religeon)

(May 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(May 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm)diffidus Wrote:
(May 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm)Welsh cake Wrote:

No, it's just pro religious credulity. It's like saying I am not pro-disease, but I am pro the weakening of immune system.

I think the arguments strength is in its intellectual bravery, that is, the admission that we really cannot ascert Atheism or Theism due to the imperfect narure of our nowledge. This may be an unsavoury conclusion but surely you would admit it is a statement of fact.
(May 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm)Chuck Wrote: So promiscuous credulity is courage while intellectual rigor is cowardess?
Funny... I thought he was saying the opposite! Intellectual vigor produces a more accurate view, where promiscuous credulity supports incredulous positions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32816 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12474 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12150 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Intellectual Laziness (2) fishtumor 1 1539 April 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: simplexity
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38081 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack