Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello! (or, How I Became an Atheist)
Big Grin 
Hello! (or, How I Became an Atheist)
So this is my obligatory, introductory, first post here. Thought I'd better say hi.

Despite being given a Christian christian name as a child born into a Catholic household, I've been classifying myself as an atheist for years, but I can pinpoint my lack of belief right down to a moment in primary/elementary school; I went to a catholic faith school and it was obligatory to participate in church readings and public assemblies in front of parents.

At roughly the age of 7 or 8 I distinctly remember giving question to the validity and factual content of the two sentence flash card I had to learn for one of these events. Something about the last supper I think, and my infant brain refused to comprehend the cannibalistic nature of such a literal magic act of turning one's physical mass into a Jesus sandwich to wash down with a fruity red. Rather than just learn the words and repeat them from memory I must have actually taken note of what it was supposed to mean and it was at this point I can remember almost flat-out refusing to read the card. I think I got detention. Angry

Such a rebel.

I'm much more laid back these days now that I have the freedom to choose my own belief system, which if you read my profile here states that I'm more philosophical about it. I don't get wound up by people believing in one god or another, or horoscopes, or homeopathy or magic power bracelets; it's only when such a belief crosses the border into harm (see also: homeopathy) that it becomes an issue for me that I feel I ought to challenge.

RE: Hello! (or, How I Became an Atheist)
Welcome to the forums. Feel free to jump into any thread that intrests you or lurk a bit. Glad to have you around, looks like you're a fairly chill chap. Glad to have another UK person here (not that I am, but I'm envious of the accents).
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Hello Chris.
Welcome to the forum.
Hello Chris.
Welcome to the forum.
Greetings dude.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders welcome to the forums!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only reason I became Mormon was because I snuck a taste of "Funeral Potatoes!" 😁 HankMoody316 10 1751 November 8, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3125 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5286 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello, New atheist having a meltdown Dragonfly 58 7078 October 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Dragonfly
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5978 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hello from an African-American atheist ChidiB 28 3981 May 16, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2617 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  How i became atheist Torin 13 1395 August 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3467 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Weak atheist/deist here, hello! vixene 59 9279 August 11, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Pyrrho