Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birthday wishes in Islam
Birthday wishes in Islam
Since it is my birthday today I thought I would address something I read a few days ago.

I have heard that the celebration of birthdays is Islam in prohibited.
Although I imagine this isn't practiced by most Muslims, I was just wondering if anyone knew anymore
about this.
Cunt
RE: Birthday wishes in Islam
I have seen articles and fatwas on the internet which cite verses from the Quran to prove that birthday celebrations are forbidden in Islam. But they're all flawed, IMO.

However, some Muslims believe that celebrating birthdays is an imitation of pagan cultures because the history of birthday goes back to the Greeks and Romans who used to light their candles and put them on a decorated cake to honor their gods and goddesses. In Europe, it was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people o­n their birthdays. To protect them from harm, friends and family would come to be with the birthday person and bring good thoughts and wishes to ward off the evil spirits. This is how birthday parties began. That's why, some Muslims think that celebrating birthday is not allowed in Islam since it used to be a pagan ritual.

I, for one, do not agree with the above contention. Why? Because birthdays would be impermissible only if taken as a religious symbol - but that is not the case - as they are merely cultural expressions and thus do not have any connection to religion in today's society. What is most important are our intentions for celebrating them. A celebration does not necessarily have to be tied to religion even if that expression comes from a culture that has pagan roots.

To determine whether or not something is taken into the context of religion, the only source for a Muslim is the Quran and Sunnah, which brings me to the topic of Christmas. To try and make an analogy between Christmas and normal everyday people celebrating an event is incorrect, because the concept of birthday extends to each and everybody, which puts it outside the context of religion, and therefore, birthday celebrations are cultural. There is no distinction between you and I or some Russian or a Chinese person celebrating their birthdays.

Celebrating the birthday of Jesus or Muhammad, on the other hand, steps into the field of religion, because their personalities cannot in any way be separated from religion. Nobody attends your birthday or my birthday thinking that there is a religious sentiment toward our personalities. Only when people start celebrating any event around religious figures, like the birth of Saints or Prophets, then we are entering the territory of religion.
(May 20, 2011 at 4:43 am)Rayaan Wrote: I have seen articles and fatwas on the internet which cite verses from the Quran to prove that birthday celebrations are forbidden in Islam. But they're all flawed, IMO.

However, some Muslims believe that celebrating birthdays is an imitation of pagan cultures because the history of birthday goes back to the Greeks and Romans who used to light their candles and put them on a decorated cake to honor their gods and goddesses. In Europe, it was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people o­n their birthdays. To protect them from harm, friends and family would come to be with the birthday person and bring good thoughts and wishes to ward off the evil spirits. This is how birthday parties began. That's why, some Muslims think that celebrating birthday is not allowed in Islam since it used to be a pagan ritual.

I, for one, do not agree with the above contention. Why? Because birthdays would be impermissible only if taken as a religious symbol - but that is not the case - as they are merely cultural expressions and thus do not have any connection to religion in today's society. What is most important are our intentions for celebrating them. A celebration does not necessarily have to be tied to religion even if that expression comes from a culture that has pagan roots.

To determine whether or not something is taken into the context of religion, the only source for a Muslim is the Quran and Sunnah, which brings me to the topic of Christmas. To try and make an analogy between Christmas and normal everyday people celebrating an event is incorrect, because the concept of birthday extends to each and everybody, which puts it outside the context of religion, and therefore, birthday celebrations are cultural. There is no distinction between you and I or some Russian or a Chinese person celebrating their birthdays.

Celebrating the birthday of Jesus or Muhammad, on the other hand, steps into the field of religion, because their personalities cannot in any way be separated from religion. Nobody attends your birthday or my birthday thinking that there is a religious sentiment toward our personalities. Only when people start celebrating any event around religious figures, like the birth of Saints or Prophets, then we are entering the territory of religion.

Thanks, that clears up some thoughts.
Cunt
Rayaan, I do agree with you for the most part.
But is it not true we have been told we have two Eids, and that's all?
(May 26, 2011 at 3:38 am)Abu Taj al Deen Wrote: Rayaan, I do agree with you for the most part.

Yes, religious celebrations for a Muslim are limited to those two Eids only (Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adhaa). However, this does not exclude birthdays because birthdays are cultural celebrations, not religious.
Again, I do agree and I totally get what you're saying.
What about days like Mother's day/Father's day/Australia day, ect.?
[Image: Semiotic-1.png]
Pollitics | Religion | Headline News | General Chat
(May 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm)Abu Taj al Deen Wrote: Again, I do agree and I totally get what you're saying.
What about days like Mother's day/Father's day/Australia day, ect.?

In my opinion, those are okay also, because they don't enter into the field of religion.

It's not like I'm worshipping my mother or turning her into a religious symbol by celebrating Mother's Day. I usually just say "Happy Mother's Day" to her, and that's it, so this is hardly a "celebration."
I don't think any religion or belief celebrates their birthday anymore. I mean it isn't much to celebrate about. Less your a big celebrity or someone of value to the world.
(May 26, 2011 at 5:26 am)Rayaan Wrote:
(May 26, 2011 at 3:38 am)Abu Taj al Deen Wrote: Rayaan, I do agree with you for the most part.

Yes, religious celebrations for a Muslim are limited to those two Eids only (Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adhaa). However, this does not exclude birthdays because birthdays are cultural celebrations, not religious.

Though it isn't a Eid. Jima is a holiday and should be celebrated equally.
(June 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm)Eternity Wrote: Though it isn't a Eid. Jima is a holiday and should be celebrated equally.

You're right, Muslims are obligated to celebrate Jummah also, which is to attend a congregational prayer on Fridays. But sometimes I miss them when I have work or miss them for other reasons (although now I'm free on Fridays).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7851 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5470 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33830 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet