Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tulsa Race Riot
The Tulsa Race Riot
Ninety years ago today, a black community in Tulsa, Oklahoma was burned to the ground by a mob of angry white people. Homes were looted and somewhere between 50 and 300 black people were murdered. Just in the last few decades, the unmarked graves of some of the victims have been uncovered. It was the worst race riot in United States history. It all started because a black man accidentally stepped on the foot of a white woman in an elevator (well, that is one version of the story). She screamed and he was arrested. The townspeople tried to remove him from the courthouse and lynch him. The papers sensationalized the event, said he was trying to rape her and incited the city to violence. He was later found innocent and freed, but the damage was done. Sometimes I marvel at how much things have changed and yet, have stayed the same.

http://www.tulsareparations.org/TulsaRiot.htm
RE: The Tulsa Race Riot
(June 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm)Shell B Wrote: Ninety years ago today, a black community in Tulsa, Oklahoma was burned to the ground by a mob of angry white people. Homes were looted and somewhere between 50 and 300 black people were murdered. Just in the last few decades, the unmarked graves of some of the victims have been uncovered. It was the worst race riot in United States history. It all started because a black man accidentally stepped on the foot of a white woman in an elevator (well, that is one version of the story). She screamed and he was arrested. The townspeople tried to remove him from the courthouse and lynch him. The papers sensationalized the event, said he was trying to rape her and incited the city to violence. He was later found innocent and freed, but the damage was done. Sometimes I marvel at how much things have changed and yet, have stayed the same.

http://www.tulsareparations.org/TulsaRiot.htm

Absolutely. Every time we deny a group of their rights, we end up giving it to them just to find another group. Bigotry seems to be an innate human trait. I couldn't explain why. Americans alone have persecuted by race, religion, gender, and nationality. It's a damn shame that in the modern world we still have so many goddamn bigots.
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Dean
I agree with your sentiment, but America is not the only nation in history to behave this way and it probably won't be the last.

I couldn't imagine living here 90 years ago. Who knows who I would have been brainwashed to be or how uncomfortable I would have felt with my peers.
God commands us to be "separated"

The bible is very clear on this ... god does indeed like slaves, he just doesn't approve of you treating them like equals. "NO MIXING PEOPLE!"

re-god-damn-diculous!
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 2, 2011 at 12:09 am)Shell B Wrote: I agree with your sentiment, but America is not the only nation in history to behave this way and it probably won't be the last.

I didn't mean America was the only nation. I just listed its issues because that is what I am familiar with. I know, for example, there is a party in the UK called the British National Party that is very racist.

Also, Shelly, did you see my thread that links to animated historical maps? I watched them all. Once I saw one I couldn't stop watching. lol They are pretty interesting.
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Dean
Well...

[Image: KKK-rally-before-ole-miss-game-thumb-400xauto-5082.jpg]

there are some uniquely American aspects to this issue.
Those clowns are wearing different colored robes. I say we kill all of the ones in red.

Dean, I didn't see that thread. I lost my internet connection for a while with all of the tornadoes around here today, so I haven't been able to keep up with everything. I will go look now.
(June 2, 2011 at 2:47 am)Shell B Wrote: Those clowns are wearing different colored robes.

Speaking of the KKK and clowns....

Quote:“White Power!” the Nazi’s shouted, “White Flour?” the clowns yelled back running in circles throwing flour in the air and raising separate letters which spelt “White Flour”.

“White Power!” the Nazi’s angrily shouted once more, “White flowers?” the clowns cheers and threw white flowers in the air and danced about merrily.

“White Power!” the Nazi’s tried once again in a doomed and somewhat funny attempt to clarify their message, “ohhhhhh!” the clowns yelled “Tight Shower!” and held a solar shower in the air and all tried to crowd under to get clean as per the Klan’s directions...

The clown women thought they finally understood what the Klan was trying to say. “Ohhhhh…” the women clowns said. “Now we understand…”, “WIFE POWER!”

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/03/clow...kkk-asses/

Dean
I love how racism is so often perceived only as negative Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 2, 2011 at 5:18 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: I love how racism is so often perceived only as negative Heart

Actually, it isn't. All kinds of assholes see it as a positive thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critical Race Theory Spongebob 198 11477 January 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Elizabeth Warren out of race onlinebiker 47 3530 March 12, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Latino is not a race BrokenQuill92 29 2027 December 16, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting is economic racism Rickimoto 3 468 April 1, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting, economic reasons. But why isnt it defined as racism? Rickimoto 4 537 April 1, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can I be Trans-Race or Trans-Class? InquiringMind 41 6404 April 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Come Oh Ye Rational Thinkers...and explain race theory to me tantric 35 5662 February 23, 2015 at 1:03 am
Last Post: tantric
  Legal pot smokers riot in Seattle, dozens killed. Jackalope 51 6408 December 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The race card Something completely different 5 1187 July 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Riot in France viocjit 11 3310 July 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: viocjit