Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We should listen to this
We should listen to this
The Global Commission on Drug Policy released it's results of the war on drugs and here's a quick article about it-
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110602/wl_n...commission

If you want the full write up, you can download the pdf here-
http://www.globalcommissionondrugs.org/Report

I've been saying all along that criminalizing drugs was the wrong way to go about it, but not many people in the U.S. want to hear it. All the crime surrounding drugs is because of its criminalization, and if we just educate people how to use them, they wouldn't be the problem in our society that they are.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a fix all. People will do stupid things on drugs like they do now with the one legal drug, alcohol. But alcohol seems to get a pass on its detrimental effects on people, while the other drugs are chastised for it. The only difference between alcohol and other drugs are their social origins.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: We should listen to this
Yes, in recent years I've started to think they should legalize marijuana. It's not a harmful drug like cocaine, methamphetamine, or heroin. You never see anyone selling everything they have and stealing from other people because they have a pot habit.

I'm still not in favor of legalizing other hard drugs, but it's clear that the war on drugs is a total failure.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
All for legalisation of some, and decriminalisation of all the others.

Legalise - Marijuana, hash, mescaline, shrooms, spice, natural psychedelics, alcohol (already there), tobacco (already there). You know, all the lite stuff that doesnt fuck up peoples lives as quick as the problem drugs do..with the exception of alcohol, of course.

Alcohol seems to be a special class all of its own.

decriminalise - Coke, crack, heroine, etc... Small amounts should not be bothered with. Decent size amounts should be ticketed and the people should be remanded to drug rehab, not jail. Large amounts and manufacture should be jailed short term, penalized heavily monetarily to help pay for the rehab system...thats a good use for drug money. These are the "problem drugs".

Drugs should never, ever constitute a felony no matter if you have a pinch of coke, or an entire coke factory.

Drugs are a health issue, not a criminal issue.
Do it like my country did
(June 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm)Ashendant Wrote: Do it like my country did

Economic advise from portugal? Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Legalize all drugs. If people want to mess around with weird substances, let them. Their body, their decision. We let people kill themselves by eating unhealthy food, or drinking / smoking themselves to death. Why not let the drug themselves to death too?

Besides, according to peer-reviewed research in the Lancet, alcohol and tobacco (i.e. the two most commonly legalized drugs) are also two of the most dangerous. If you legalize the others, market forces (or government regulation for you lefties out there) will make the drugs "safer".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/n...-drug-list
I'll make the drugs all safer if that's what you all want: I'll keep you all from obtaining them with this!

[Image: 1283316084601.jpg]

Why the hell would anyone want safe drugs anyway? Drugs are like money: it's worthless if it's just sitting there!
Those "market forces" you mention Adrian are running the drug cartels, now. They are perfect little capitalists aren't they? They take all the risks. They make all the money. They bribe whoever needs bribing.

Supply and demand run amok!
But how do you go from criminalization to decriminalization with minimal counter swing?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 3, 2011 at 2:56 am)tackattack Wrote: But how do you go from criminalization to decriminalization with minimal counter swing?

With lots and lots of

[Image: confetti.jpg]

I actually don't understand what 'minimal counter swing' or decriminalization or criminalization are...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7008 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  It's Not As If the WLB Would Listen Anyway Minimalist 6 1562 February 13, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Listen to Helen Mirren Read the U.S. Torture Report Pyrrho 2 1521 June 17, 2015 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Dem voters in America, listen up OP/ED Brian37 1 1058 January 21, 2015 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Brian37