Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athiest Evolutionist
Athiest Evolutionist
My story:

I was raised Catholic. My father was a church going Catholic and my mother is an agnostic who never went to church. I think I was always one of those cafeteria Catholics that thought that whatever I believed could fit in with religion as long as I believed in the basics. After my father died (20 years ago) I stopped going to church except when I visited my extended relatives who were Catholic, and that was more to make them happy than myself. I actuallly never thought about religion or god at all otherwise.

My immediate family never really discussed religion after my father died. One sister remained Catholic, but I never asked my other sister or brother what they believed, I just assumed they were like me. They did not go to church either so I assumed that they also had just this vauge belief in god too. My thinking started to change the day I was watching TV with my neice. Something came on TV in passing about evolution and she said " that's not true, evolution is not real". I was totally shocked. I asked my brother why she said that. I then found out that he beilieves and teaches his family that the bible is a lteral account of history and that if it is not in the bible it did not happen. He believes the earth is 6000 years old and that we are literally descended from Adam and Eve.

I had always just assumed that the people who did not believe in evolution were the freaks you see on TV, not otherwise intellegent people. I had never questioned normal people would not believe in evolution or see that the bible was more metephorical than historical. After finding this out I started to read more about evoluton, religion, history and science. I came to the conclusion that I could not make sense of the concept of god. After reading the God Delusion I knew that I was an athiest. It fit perfectly with everthing I believed.

That is a long story but that's how I got here. My logical brain cannot deny the facts. Evoluton is real..god is not.
RE: Athiest Evolutionist
Hi... what the hell is an Evolutionist? Heart

Gaah another intro speaking about logic, and reality on top of that...

*Philosopher shields her eyes from the barbarism*

Have fun Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The God Delusion is wonderful stuff. Have you read Darwin's Dangerous Idea, by Dennett, or Darwin's Cathedral by Wilson? Both really good reading. I'm extremely new here, too. Nice to meet you.
Trying to update my sig ...
Welcome, but I'm with Sae on this one, what the hell is an Evolutionist?
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Evolution is the only logical explanation for the fossil record. The only thing that requires faith is creationism. I reccomend Darwin's newest book for your brother in law. It lays out the evidence for evolution. Also fundies seem to think that evolution = abiogenesis.
Gaaaaahhhh.... more with the misuse of logic...

[Image: 5i54TWQzk08TT.jpg]

It's hurting my brain...
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome Jem

Now I say this with nothing but love to Jem and Epimethean ...... GET AN AVATAR!!!!

Have fun.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 8, 2011 at 12:39 am)eric209 Wrote: Evolution is the only logical explanation for the fossil record. The only thing that requires faith is creationism. I reccomend Darwin's newest book for your brother in law. It lays out the evidence for evolution. Also fundies seem to think that evolution = abiogenesis.

Ergo there is no need to 'Believe in Evolution'

Evolution has existed for billions of years without the help of belief from hominids. I can only assume that this encounter with your niece has yet to settle...hence the evolution affirmation??

Welcome to the forums mate ...Hi from Oz
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome to the forums
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 8, 2011 at 12:39 am)eric209 Wrote: Evolution is the only logical explanation for the fossil record. The only thing that requires faith is creationism. I reccomend [sic] Darwin's newest book for your brother in law. It lays out the evidence for evolution. Also fundies seem to think that evolution = abiogenesis.
I would caution on that "only" bit; many times scientists have said "this is the only way" to be proved wrong later by other scientists. Hardly anyone espouses the spontaneous generation theory of biology anymore.

One might rephrase that to be: Evolution is the best logical explanation we have devised at present for the fossil record.

That -only logical explanation- bit might be interpreted as religion a thousand or fifty years from now.

And by the way, be thou welcome amongst the precepts of order and disorder around here. (Paraphrasing the Principia Discordia, Book of Uterus)

I am not a sock puppet. This is a recording Smile

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  O-Oh Athiest-Kisha, notice me B-Baka! SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 10 2465 October 10, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Hi from an Aussie Athiest Eclipse 17 2002 February 13, 2016 at 7:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3055 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest? Cheese-Is-Christ 26 5035 October 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest EGross 7 2350 February 19, 2013 at 10:53 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends! Chemelonique 25 7619 July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Another Athiest Reporting In theotherone 7 1994 December 21, 2011 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Former Athiest clipse26i 40 13793 July 25, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lutheran, drunk athiest, God, christian, non-religious, voice of God bjhulk 30 11602 February 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural
  Alaska Athiest! paintpooper 20 6215 May 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious