Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest?
Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest?
Hey there,

I'm new here.

I was wondering if I could have your views/opinions on this?
Basically, I've never read the bible, I've never been to church (apart from weddings/funerals and when I was dragged along a few times as a kid) and I've really never made any effort to really look into anything religion-based, but I just don't believe what I've heard. I know the basic story that there's a God who made the Earth bla bla bla, and he had a son who killed himself for our sins ... you know.

Is it hypocritical of me to be an athiest when I've never properly looked into Chrisitanity?

Thanks.
RE: Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest?
Wha? For not being indoctrinated? Nah. Call yourself lucky you hadn't that stuff pushed up your ass when a child, literally for catholic choir boys.

Oh, and Welcome
I agree with LP. Lucky you, who never got indoctrinated. Keep at it Big Grin

And welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm)Cheese-Is-Christ Wrote: Is it hypocritical of me to be an athiest when I've never properly looked into Chrisitanity?

Only if you think it's hypocritical to be an atheist without having examined every single god claim ever made.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There's just no pleasing some people is there.

On the one hand we have those that have taken years to rid themselves of indoctrination and the free themselves from the shackles...

No - seriously - welcome on board - there is no exam and no minimum pass mark to be an atheist any more than there is to be a christian.

(interesting - my spell checker wants to capitalise christian but not atheist - bias?)
(October 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm)Cheese-Is-Christ Wrote: Hey there,

I'm new here.

I was wondering if I could have your views/opinions on this?
Basically, I've never read the bible, I've never been to church (apart from weddings/funerals and when I was dragged along a few times as a kid) and I've really never made any effort to really look into anything religion-based, but I just don't believe what I've heard. I know the basic story that there's a God who made the Earth bla bla bla, and he had a son who killed himself for our sins ... you know.

Is it hypocritical of me to be an athiest when I've never properly looked into Chrisitanity?

Thanks.

Nope.

You would be a hypocrit if you were an anti-theist (someone who opposes religion and not just simply rejects it). Since being against something always requires some knowlege about that what you are against.

Guten Abend
(October 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm)max-greece Wrote: (interesting - my spell checker wants to capitalise christian but not atheist - bias?)

Integrity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I do recommend that you educate yourself on religion. Not just Christianity, but all the world's religions, including Buddhism and Paganism. Knowledge is the ultimate vaccination against religion.
Welcome and enjoy the forum.
Following in my predecessors' footsteps
Is it hypocritical to be an atheist when you never considered:
- Animism
- Druidism
- Classical Egyptian
- Classical greek
- Classical Roman
- Viking
- Hindu
- Islam
- Jewish
- Christian
- etc.... there have been more than 2000 gods in the history of mankind... who has the time to consider them all?

Besides, you have no belief in any of them. That's one of the definitions of atheist.
Hypocritical - No

Fortuitous - Yes

Welcome

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  O-Oh Athiest-Kisha, notice me B-Baka! SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 10 2451 October 10, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Hi from an Aussie Athiest Eclipse 17 1997 February 13, 2016 at 7:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3034 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest EGross 7 2347 February 19, 2013 at 10:53 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends! Chemelonique 25 7591 July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Another Athiest Reporting In theotherone 7 1992 December 21, 2011 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Former Athiest clipse26i 40 13755 July 25, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Athiest Evolutionist Jem12 10 3695 June 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: eric209
  Lutheran, drunk athiest, God, christian, non-religious, voice of God bjhulk 30 11591 February 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural
  Alaska Athiest! paintpooper 20 6199 May 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious