Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from an Aussie Athiest
Hi from an Aussie Athiest
Hi all,

First post from someone who has been on a transitional journey from agnostic, to a passive athiest and now to an active athiest.

I suppose, like many others, my agnosticism really just stemmed from looking at all things and thinking "Everything is just too finely balanced for it to be a fluke. The only answer is God. But which God ?", While that was my belief I was never really comfortable with that conclusion. I felt I had to make a decision to either believe in one God or not to believe ( that should have been clue one as to where my true beliefs lie as I don't think a person should just simply "decide" to believe in a God) and as I asked more questions, particularly of theologians , thought more, read more and watched more debates (enter Messes Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris et al) I came to the conclusion that I cannot be true to myself if I was to believe in a higher power.

Ironically enough, one of the biggest influences on my conversion is that I decided to read the Bible and to try to understand it. So I read the book and came to the conclusion that if this in fact the word of God then this God has to be one of the most narcissistic, abusive, racist, misogynistic and downright murderous entities in the history of the world. I also sat down with a colleague of mine who has a degree in Theology and also runs a bible study group. As I asked him questions regarding Christianity and his beliefs, and put certain scenarios forward. I found his responses to be unconvincing to say the least, as well as some being contradictory to his religion. 

After more thought I came to the conclusion that the only way I could be true to who I am is to believe that all I have is me. There is no-one "looking over me" or there is no-one with a plan for me. I am not shackled by trying to live up to the expectations of the almighty creator. I am free to think what I like and to act as I like without fear of retribution and damnation from the Holy Father. I do good because i want to live my life like that and not just in some vain attempt to please a celestial dictator who cannot be pleased. There is just me, born not of Gods will and image but of stardust, and I will live then die exactly like everyone who went before me and everyone who will come after me.  And that is a truly liberating feeling.

We'll, I could go on forever but will leave it at that.

Good to be aboard and I hope I can be a worthwhile contributor.
RE: Hi from an Aussie Athiest
Welcome to the forum from England Smile

Nice to meet you, and thanks for sharing your story. Well done on having the intellectual integrity to see things through to the sensible conclusion. There are many mental traps that keep religions and theism in general going, and it sounds like you've fought your way out of them.

It's great you feel liberated! Indeed, cosmically we are alone, but we have each other and we can achieve great things when we work together. If there is a "god", whatever the hell that even means, it's not one of the cartoon character protrayed in stupid old books. It's also of no relevance until we actually have any information on it.

Enjoy the forum!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
G'day mate!

Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around ^_^ And thanks for sharing your story!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Greetings from Errorzona where, between the Gun Nuts and the Jesus Freaks and the fucking mormons,  3/4 of the population is crazy.
Welcome.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome from the middle of the US of A.  AKA Bible Belt hell!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record your professional rugby match without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Oh, and I may be visiting Australia in May. Brisbane. Damn it, don't have an app to type this upside down, can you read upside down?
Hi there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  O-Oh Athiest-Kisha, notice me B-Baka! SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 10 2460 October 10, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Hi to all from Aussie Atheist Firefighter01 19 2456 August 31, 2016 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3043 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Be Athiest? Cheese-Is-Christ 26 5034 October 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Hello from a frum Israeli Athiest EGross 7 2348 February 19, 2013 at 10:53 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends! Chemelonique 25 7606 July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Another Athiest Reporting In theotherone 7 1993 December 21, 2011 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Former Athiest clipse26i 40 13787 July 25, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Athiest Evolutionist Jem12 10 3702 June 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: eric209
  Lutheran, drunk athiest, God, christian, non-religious, voice of God bjhulk 30 11600 February 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural