Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Energy
Energy
What is meant by "Energy cannot be created or destroyed"? How did it come into existence then?
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
RE: Energy
That's the first law of thermodynamics, which is that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but can only be changed from one form to another.

How did it come into existence?

Like this:
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/1830/...attery.jpg
It means there is a fixed amount of energy in the universe, no more is ever "created or destroyed", only it changes form. It does not address how it got there in the first place. But then if you knew that, you'd be smarter than Steven Hawking.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
(June 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Eternity Wrote: How did it come into existence then?
The Big Bang.

It didn't. It's always existed and always will, it's just the form it takes that changes.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(June 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm)Darwinian Wrote: It didn't. It's always existed and always will, it's just the form it takes that changes.
Indeed, while the universe may suffer heat death, matter may be annihilated, the total mass of the cosmos cannot be destroyed, will remain constant and unchanged within the 'closed system'.
(June 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm)Darwinian Wrote:

It didn't. It's always existed and always will, it's just the form it takes that changes.

I bet God could destroy it. lol jk

But yeah thanks for the answers. I saw this somewhere and was wondering how and what it was.
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
Energy is a modification. The best way that I explain to my electrical apprentices is that "Energy is movement". In the case of electricity, it is the bumping of valence electrons in one direction (direct current) or 2 directions (Alternating current)

Think of your sink:

When you turn it on, did you "create" water, or was it already available and in the potential for motion?

When you turn the sink on it is slow moving. This is Voltage. If it is moving slow, the voltage is low. If it is running fast, the voltage is high.

How hot is the water? This is the Amperage. If the water is cold, there is hardly any amperage. But if the water is hot, then the amps are high. If the water is boiling then the amperage could hurt or kill you.

Lets multiply the water pressure times the temperature (Volts X Amps) and we will get the Wattage.

Watts is how we figure power for the electron. The electron is not created. It is, however, forced to move against resistance to create a load. A load is energy in action.

Relativity?

So E=MC2

E = Energy
M = Mass
C = The speed of light (motion)
2 = squared

So we have:

Energy equals the multiple of mass and the speed of light squared

This means that a small amount of mass can create a large amount of energy, and a large amount of energy can create a small amount of mass. Never destroying or creating, but merely moving from one form to another.
(June 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: When you turn the sink on it is slow moving. This is Voltage. If it is moving slow, the voltage is low. If it is running fast, the voltage is high.

How hot is the water? This is the Amperage. If the water is cold, there is hardly any amperage. But if the water is hot, then the amps are high. If the water is boiling then the amperage could hurt or kill you.

I don't understand Sad. Wouldn't the flow speed of the water be analogous to current?
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
@Dar- exactly what do you feel happens at maximum entropy within this closed system then? Would time still be in effect as energy has stopped flowing? Without causality what would happen in the closed system?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2112 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2469 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 55549 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7179 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10624 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Nature of Energy Panatheist 36 5691 March 17, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Panatheist
  Harmonic Oscillators, Vacuum Energy, Pauli Exclusion Principle little_monkey 1 1068 March 27, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Can Dark Matter be the energy source of the future - a rough estimate Alex K 2 1684 March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm
  Atoms energy expansion Marsellus Wallace 6 1425 March 10, 2014 at 5:19 am