Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A discussion with tack
A discussion with tack
To the other guys: you may not be interested in this discussion. It's a discussion I & tackattack continue from other thread to this thread.

tackattack Wrote:1-That plenty and covers the basis. If you’re interested [url= http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/....html]here are more[/url]
All of them are spoken from within this universe. To say there is nothing God can’t do, would suffice. It would be picked apart for the absolutist terminology because when someone from within this universe typically says the phrase above they’re actually saying there is nothing God can’t do that is possible within this universe. Therefore I simply tried to explain and simplify by saying omnipotence is about the power to do anything that is logically possible to do. If you want to use the Gnostic definition and be tautological and define omnipotent as power to do anything, even the impossible, then I would have to say God would not fit that definition.
That thing with "within this universe" sounds a bit odd, and very unclear. And it doesn't sound to be similar to "anything that is logically possible to do".

I'll say my view on 'omnipotence'. First off, it refers to God's power (i.e. amount of power, perhaps that is more suggestive), not by illogical phrases and phrases you use with the word "can". So "can God cease being wise?", "can God forget?", "can God lie?", "can God be evil?", "can God cease being God" have nothing to do with the amount of power God has. Even if God couldn't be evil "because of His nature", that would not be against God's power (by the way, God's nature to be good and not evil... I don't find anywhere in the bible to be written so). It's the same with a man who can't torture a baby: the fact that he cannot torture the baby does not make him less powerful/mighty.

Also the question "can God create a being more powerful than Himself?" appears to be a logical contradiction. But because "all" the power belongs to God, there can logically be no power greater than the power of God.

Also the question: "can God create a squared circle?" - a "squared circle" is not a thing, it's only a combination of words that results in something meaningless/stupid/illogical. If the 'amount' of power that belongs to God is ultimate, then the answer "no" does not contradict His attribute "Almighty".

OK, now some verses that talk about 'omnipotence':
Gen 17.1 - the word "Almighty" - from hebrew, as I found - can mean "Almighty" or "most powerful" (and the word in hebrew derives from a word meaning "powerful").

As about phrases with "all", you will find very many verses in both the Old Testament and the New, where you will notice that it does not mean "absolutely each individual", one example could be Exodus 9.25 versus 10.12 (and there are very many verses like this throughout the bible). I don't know how exactly this word in both hebrew and greek can be translated properly in english, in some certain cases it may be "as a whole" or something like that.

Quote:2-Then the next step would be to determine what you would qualify as evidence of God/gods interacting with you. Answer?
I assume you mean here, not at the 'judgment day' of God/the gods. Well, if God or some gods would appear to me (and not me alone, but perhaps something like 100 persons or more) and say that they are the true gods (or He is the true God), and also give good arguments why we should believe them that they are the true gods, or that He is the true only God, and would give me (or give us) the power to do supernatural things for a period of time (e.g. 10 days) and therefore both see for myself, and also have evidence from others that I haven't lost my sanity, then yes, that would be an evidence, and I would believe those gods (or, that God).

Or, did you mean something else?

Quote:2a- My position on Hell is fairly standard. Hell as is commonly used is the lake of fire (Revelation 20:9-15) at the day of judgment. That coupled with verses like 2 Thessalonians 1:9, Matthew 10:28 and tons of others Biblically support that in the second death your soul is destroyed, not suffering eternally. That’s not to say you might or might not suffer in Ghenna or Hades, and nowhere does it say how long it takes to destroy the soul. My opinion is that the doctrine of the eternalness of the soul is a Platonic influence and corrupts proper exegesis of scripture in its entirety.
Actually, 2 Thessalonians seem to specify an eternal [time of] ruin/death. It seems to be different than "destroyed for good" or something like that.
And how do you explain Mark 9.43-44 and Matthew 25.41,46; 13.40-42, Revelation 14.9-11, 20.10?

Quote:3-Yes I am non-denominational. That means I’m opposed to the division of the Church (as the body of Christ in the Bible) along dogmatic lines. I lean on the only church I know, the church of experience and scripture.
What exactly is that church? is it a definition invented by you or the 'definition' is from the bible?

Quote:3a-I say God & Satan can speak in our minds. You would have to determine first if it was actual or illusory communication. Then scripturally and spiritually determine its origins. Then decide whether you’ll listen to it or not.
ok,
first: is there a biblical support for God & Satan speaking in our minds?
then, how would you determine if it was actual or illusory communication?
then, how exactly would you determine its origins?

Quote:3b-I don’t think I ever listed a specific case. But I would say, as the morally superior standard, if you followed all of 3a and God commanded an unjustifiable action deemed immoral, than he would be immoral and not God. I’ve yet to see an instance of this in the Bible.
Perhaps that discussion had derived to something else in the meantime.
In your discussion (you & Welsh cake) it was so:

Quote:5a- Hell- See 2a. Yes there’s a Hades, Ghenna, Hell , Valley of Hinnom, Sheol,
If you insist that Hades and Sheol are actually hell, then show me a place in the bible where it is suggested something like that. The places where I see sheol & hades, they quite support my theory - the 'spiritual' place where dead people's souls go.

Quote:Me personally, I am with Thomas Aquinas on this reward or punishment should not precede the judgment. I think we cease to be until the second coming at death and it’s like our souls are sleeping there.
With this occasion, how do you understand Luke 16.22-23? (notice that the judgment day had not arrived there yet: there were his relatives on earth).

Quote:5b- Heaven- There’s 3 Heaven the scripture talks about. Heaven = sky, Heaven = universe, Heaven =
Where God sits.
The last is pretty vague, if we consider God to be omnipresent. And here is where my understanding fits better: the 'spiritual' realm.

Quote:Typically in the vernacular almost everyone is speaking only of the third instance. Also called "kingdom of heaven" or "kingdom of God" as you stated.
ok, if there is a heaven, then why is there also a kingdom of heaven? isn't there a contradiction to say that "X = something of X"?
With this occasion, perhaps you can find me a place in the Bible where "heaven" (alone) refers to the place where 'good' people go after they die (i.e. the modern "heaven").

Quote:5c- As far as God in Hell, it’s logically impossible. God has no need to judge himself, so why would he have need to send himself to destruction. If Heaven is the kingdom or oneness with God, then Hell would be eternal absence of God… logically exclusive.

If you insist that Sheol = hell, this should be a bit tricky for you:
Psalm 139.8 Wrote:If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Note that the hebrew word for "hell" in the above verse is the hebrew "Sheol" (and it is a... mistranslation... at least until you can prove me otherwise).

Anyway, the fact is that if God is omnipresent, it doesn't mean that it hurts Him if His presence is not ended by hell. After all, hell must have been His creation, so how could His creation harm/destroy Him? Why would God create something that is able to harm/destroy Him? (if that's even possible)

As about "If Heaven is the kingdom or oneness with God, then Hell would be eternal absence of God… logically exclusive."
If heaven is 'everlasting union with God' then hell must rather be 'eternal disunion with God' (where man is left in oblivion by God).

Also, I think you should explain more about "oneness" with God and how that is based on the bible.

Quote:6a- Here we can discuss whether God does evil. It’ll be short, God can do evil, but it’s counter to his nature (good) and can any of us mortals envision doing anything outside our very nature (if we knew it in its entirety).
Please show me from the Bible where you see that God's "goodness" is His "nature" (which seems to confine Him to be in a certain way or something).

Quote:7- Well first we need to establish a definition of a soul. I’m not really interested in a 2000 year old definition, just yours. I’ve stated mine, we can go with that or you could state one and we could come to a consensus. I’ve listed several times and places on this site that to my definitions the existence of the soul can be demonstrated, if necessary I’ll rehash those. Definition first, though.
Well, the definition you gave (i.e. "A soul is the hypothetical immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life") seems good enough. As I cannot 'touch' souls and cannot study souls myself to see how and what exactly they must be, I don't know if I can be certain on a definition or something. For instance, I cannot imagine "immaterial essence", but because I don't know all secrets of the universe, I'll consider it as a possible thing.
RE: A discussion with tack
This conversation interests me a great deal (which is an understatement). I can hardly wait for a point at which I can participate.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
Snacks
[Image: Evolution.png]

tackattack Wrote:Therefore I simply tried to explain and simplify by saying omnipotence is about the power to do anything that is logically possible to do

Im pretty sure that you must have a confused apologetic understanding of god. The bible is very clear about that fact its not mistaken.

But Jesus looked at them and said, With men this is impossible, but all things are possible with God. – Matt. 19:26
For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment. – Luke 1:37

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The bible doesnt limit gods power to logically possible. The very nature of Resurrection is illogical. Death has no logical reversal.
(June 13, 2011 at 12:49 am)eric209 Wrote: The very nature of Resurrection is illogical. Death has no logical reversal.

Yet system restore and reversible computations are logical? Tongue

Btw, I think that Ryft is the best theist for these kind of philosophical debates. I know that he has done this before with intelligent replies. But we'll see how it goes.

(June 13, 2011 at 2:10 am)Rayaan Wrote:
(June 13, 2011 at 12:49 am)eric209 Wrote: The very nature of Resurrection is illogical. Death has no logical reversal.

Yet system restore and reversible computations are logical? Tongue

Btw, I think that Ryft is the best theist for these kind of philosophical debates. I know that he has done this before with intelligent replies. But we'll see how it goes.

Please clarify your point. Are you equivocating death with computers? I can only understand your point if your are totally untrained in computing and assume the same of me.

EDIT: Are you assuming im a theist?
It's sort of like that, because I believe that universe is a gigantic quantum computer, which I have mentioned in this post.

So, if the universe behaves like a giant computer, then I think of God as the programmer of the universe, and he can reverse physical events whenever he wants to.
(June 13, 2011 at 2:27 am)Rayaan Wrote: It's sort of like that, because I believe that universe is a gigantic quantum computer, which I have mentioned in this post.

So, if the universe behaves like a giant computer, then I think of God as the programmer of the universe, and he can reverse physical events whenever he wants to.

Do you have any empirical evidence for God as the programmer of the universe, and he can reverse physical events whenever he wants to.

There is a point at which i can not try to reason with someone any longer and if you honestly believe all of that you said in your other post then I fear there is no starting ground for discussion.

If you cannot understand how a system restore is logical please read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore
No, I don't have any empirical evidence. It's a philosophical idea which has a connection to quantum mechanics.

Also, I actually do believe what I said in the other post, but at the same time, with a degree of skepticism as well because I don't know if the universe is really a quantum computer. Tongue
(June 13, 2011 at 2:54 am)Rayaan Wrote: No, I don't have any empirical evidence. It's a philosophical idea which has a connection to quantum mechanics.

Also, I actually do believe what I said in the other post, but at the same time, with a degree of skepticism as well because I don't know if the universe is really a quantum computer. Tongue

Ok well i hope you use a lot of skepticism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reply to a Discussion Glitch 8 2095 June 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Feedback on discussion FallentoReason 28 10203 September 4, 2012 at 12:03 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  A discussion around family table. Rwandrall 129 71388 May 27, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Scented Nectar