Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A discussion around family table.
A discussion around family table.
My family is VERY catholic, to the point where they invite a priest to lunch at least once a week. They do not know im an atheist so i try to suffer through that. However last week an interaction caught my attention.

The priest was talking about a Romanian homeless guy who still came to his Church every week, apparently not for shelter but for belief. He did not even beg for money there. But the priest said he was troubling the rest of the people (smell, mostly) and ended up getting him thrown out by the police, and they were laughing about it with all the ever-present immigration jokes...

Isnt the Church the ONE place on Earth where this guy should not be persecuted, judged by what he looks like and should be helped ? To me this was not much, but it was enough to know that hypocrisy is the key word in Christianity. It disgusted me.
RE: A discussion around family table.
Well, how I understand it - Religion as whole generally seems to be more likely to do things like that. Because religious, theistic, beliefs can sometimes be bigoted - and there's nothing about atheism that does that because it isn't even a belief system. So this gives Religion the power to be more bigoted. Anti-homosexuality, racism, sexism, these things have been endorsed by holy books and their believers for centuries.

Religion has a pretty big history of bigotry does it not?

EvF
@Rwandall;

My 84 year old mother is a devout Catholic.She would have torn the priest new one one. I've seen her do it,once to a bishop she thought was a bit up himself. Always polite,always devastating. With respect,your parents seem to have behaved like a pair of sycophantic arseholes ---nor does it reflect well on you if you were present and said nothing.

Do take care with sweeping generalisations,there's a good chap.
I agree with Rwandall that Hypocrisy is certainly a key word with Christianity lol. But not just Christianity. Hypocrisy seems to be one of the covers that religion hides behind, how it justifies itself. It sickens me somewhat indeed.

EvF
Rwandrall, is it possible you might debate the issue with your parents? I'd be interested to hear their defence.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(May 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm)bozo Wrote: Rwandrall, is it possible you might debate the issue with your parents? I'd be interested to hear their defence.

I would, but 1) i live abroad for my studies and 2) They do not know i am an atheist...of course i know that this isnt about being religious or not, its about common human decency, but still to them a priest is almost the highest authority they know. Critisizing a priest is blasphemy to them.
(May 4, 2010 at 1:16 am)Rwandrall Wrote: My family is VERY catholic, to the point where they invite a priest to lunch at least once a week. They do not know im an atheist so i try to suffer through that. However last week an interaction caught my attention.

The priest was talking about a Romanian homeless guy who still came to his Church every week, apparently not for shelter but for belief. He did not even beg for money there. But the priest said he was troubling the rest of the people (smell, mostly) and ended up getting him thrown out by the police, and they were laughing about it with all the ever-present immigration jokes...

Isnt the Church the ONE place on Earth where this guy should not be persecuted, judged by what he looks like and should be helped ? To me this was not much, but it was enough to know that hypocrisy is the key word in Christianity. It disgusted me.

It is hard to stand up to bigotry within your own family, I've only just started to pick up my dad for his casual racism and I'm 42.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 4, 2010 at 1:16 am)Rwandrall Wrote: My family is VERY catholic, to the point where they invite a priest to lunch at least once a week. They do not know im an atheist so i try to suffer through that. However last week an interaction caught my attention.

It's baffling to me that your parents can combine extreme right wing point of view (I guess they're MPF or FN voters...) with catholicism and not see their hypocrisy. Don't they remeber the teachings of Jesus ?
[Image: pPQu8.png]
(May 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:
(May 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm)bozo Wrote: Rwandrall, is it possible you might debate the issue with your parents? I'd be interested to hear their defence.

I would, but 1) i live abroad for my studies and 2) They do not know i am an atheist...of course i know that this isnt about being religious or not, its about common human decency, but still to them a priest is almost the highest authority they know. Critisizing a priest is blasphemy to them.

Seems to me that eventually a debate around both matters must happen..or it'll fester and breed resentment on your side.
Good luck however you tackle your problem.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(May 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm)bozo Wrote:
(May 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:

Seems to me that eventually a debate around both matters must happen..or it'll fester and breed resentment on your side.
Good luck however you tackle your problem.

Believe me i tried but some people just have their mind set on things. They have never lived outside of Paris, never went anywhere outside of France for over a month. For them things are purely black and white. Immigrants are bad. Atheists are soulless. Priests are holy men. People who work for the State are lazy. Muslims are evil terrorists... the list goes on. Just like Christians say about a "sinner", some people are just too far gone to be saved.

And i know how roughly i describe my parents, i know i should be more grateful to them than that, but i guess its just how i view things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7405 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2103 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2778 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1761 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1679 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3733 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Whoopi speaks out against the duggar family dyresand 49 11786 June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  New result on Jesus family ossuaries watchamadoodle 20 4802 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yeah....Way Too Many Fucking Morons Running Around Loose in this Country Minimalist 37 8437 February 3, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Dealing with Religious Family wolfclan96 22 4795 January 16, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: wolfclan96