Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Feedback on discussion
Feedback on discussion
I'm just wondering why sometimes during discussion between an atheist and theist there is a claim x made by the atheist with backing evidence y but the theist won't accept it. Before we all jump the gun here I think it's important to acknowledge that there's different situations of this happening. Sometimes it's an outright fact like e.g. Mark not containing verses 16:9-20 but other times it can be a little more ambiguous.

Anyways, the feedback I'm after (from theists) is to do with my argumentation style in general. Why don't you accept the arguments presented? Am I going about it wrong? Am I simply not logical or missing something out everytime? I feel like at times there's no traction between our arguments. Or is it simply that you must avoid the heartbraking truth at all costs?

Maybe it's not me. Maybe it's just how faith works. It doesn't matter how grim the situation looks, faith magically 'fixes' what can be shown to not be true.

I hope this sort of made sense. I'm about to go to bed and pretty much half asleep already...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Feedback on discussion
Probably has something to do with you not starting with god and concluding god.

Angel Cloud
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Some people's "faith" is so strong that it overrides their brain's ability to accept facts.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Some people's "faith" is so strong that it overrides their brain's ability to accept facts.

I just don't understand how sometimes we can say 2 + 2 = 4 but they go on having faith it actually equals 3. These downright facts are the ones that they don't accept even though it's a black and white situation...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Quote:I just don't understand how sometimes we can say 2 + 2 = 4 but they go on having faith it actually equals 3.

Actually their math is so poor that 1+1+1=1

Even the jews and muslims aren't that bad.
It's all based on that Big Book of Multiple Choice they insist on defending against all reason and at any cost. No matter what facts you can pick out to make or refute a point, they can pull out some other bits that appear to counter them (whether they actually do or not). That plus they get to quote anything they like out of context but we need to quote the whole damn thing from cover to cover. Basically, the whole mess is so completely and absurdly contradictory anyone can get it to say and justify anything they like - which ought to be a point in our favour, since any genuinely Holy Writ (as opposed to Atrociously Writ) ought to be clear, unambiguousand not have to rely on human languages which evolve and die out. As Matt Dillahunty has said, any god that wanted to give its Special Creations (ie us) some eternally truthful message would hardwire it into our brains.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think the problem is that atheists argue from ignorance and when someone presents a logical way to interpret the Bible, they have nothing except insults because a person does not think like they do or does not think like the masses.

BTW, 11=3 in my world...
Who's insulted you, Lion? Certainly not I; I've always tried to be courteous and polite even and probably especially when another person thinks differently to me - which is kind of the idea of being human, if you think about it. On the other foot, it's people like me who get called ignorant just for having a different opinion. If you want me to be insulting, just let me know and, like I said in another, much earlier thread, I'll Minimalist you good.

Oh, and PS: if your maths really is as bad as you claim, please never apply for a job involving handling my money..! Wink
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm)catfish Wrote: I think the problem is that atheists argue from ignorance and when someone presents a logical way to interpret the Bible, they have nothing except insults because a person does not think like they do or does not think like the masses.

BTW, 11=3 in my world...

GC said something similar in that I should not just read the Bible and consider what it says critically, but that I should 'study' it.

If the Bible doesn't mean what it says, the what exactly does 'study' mean? Would it help if I read it from right to left?
(August 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
(August 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Some people's "faith" is so strong that it overrides their brain's ability to accept facts.

I just don't understand how sometimes we can say 2 + 2 = 4 but they go on having faith it actually equals 3. These downright facts are the ones that they don't accept even though it's a black and white situation...

2+2=5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Cool Shades

Hey Stimbo, I dont understand why you used the word ''Lion'' in your post #8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reply to a Discussion Glitch 8 2100 June 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A discussion with tack Zenith 29 8345 July 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  A discussion around family table. Rwandrall 129 71797 May 27, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Scented Nectar