Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Threats and Intimidation, Go Religion!
Threats and Intimidation, Go Religion!
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/30...esistance/

This pisses me off.

ETA: Okay, I'm adding this to elaborate because most people probably just see the title and didn't read the whole article. It's about trying to show the U.S. that being an atheist doesn't mean you're anti American. An atheist organization rounded up tens of thousands of dollars to fly planes with banners saying that atheists can be patriotic on the 4th of July. They have gotten so much resistance from religious nuts on this that many of the pilots are afraid to fly.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Threats and Intimidation, Go Religion!
It pisses you off now? How about the uncountable number of time in the past?
Get used to it and live with it, my bredda.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Think how annoyed the jesus freaks will be.

That should make you happy.
No, I should have elaborated, but I'm drunk. It pisses me off that people are afraid to fly the atheist flags because they're scared of retaliation. This country is so afraid of people that don't believe in God that atheists are afraid to spread their message.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:but I'm drunk.

AT least its a good excuse.

The problem is that the devotees of the Loving Jesus have been known to beat the shit out of people to show their god's fucking love.
Well, the thing that frustrates me the most is that, as far as first world countries go, we're the only one still dealing with this kind of thing. The level of stupidity and delusion in the U.S. is sickening.
I'm not so sure that we are a first world country any more.
Fair enough, but what this sounds like is that a large number of the pilots have no balls. I see no discussion of religion being directly involved in stopping this happening.
Trying to update my sig ...
Par for the course

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't really blame the pilots. There are still places in the US where even being perceived as an atheist can be detrimental to your property, your pets, and yourself. In one small Mississippi town I lived in, I was shunned, my tires slashed, and my cats killed not because I had openly declared myself an atheist, but because I was seen reading Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4240 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16570 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Death Threats After Supporting Evolution FemmeRealism 30 13775 September 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman