Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:12 pm

Poll: Do you think halal meat is humane?
This poll is closed.
No.
58.33%
14 58.33%
Yes.
8.33%
2 8.33%
I'm a muslim of course I do!
4.17%
1 4.17%
Don't care.
16.67%
4 16.67%
Compassion is for fools!
12.50%
3 12.50%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is halal legal?
Why is halal legal?
For all the animal welfare legislation we have in the western world it staggers me that this disgusting ritual known as "dhabihah" is legal.
If you don't know what it is take a read of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

One particular quote which made me want to throw up is this:
Wiki Wrote:Various research papers on cattle slaughter collected by Compassion In World Farming mention that "after the throat is cut, large clots can form at the severed ends of the carotid arteries, leading to occlusion of the wound (or “ballooning” as it is known in the slaughtering trade). Nick Cohen wrote in the New Statesman, "Occlusions slow blood loss from the carotids and delay the decline in blood pressure that prevents the suffering brain from blacking out. In one group of calves, 62.5 per cent suffered from ballooning. Even if the slaughterman is a master of his craft and the cut to the neck is clean, blood is carried to the brain by vertebral arteries and it keeps cattle conscious of their pain."

It makes me sick to even see this halal shit paraded around take-aways and restaurants, advertised like a fucking badge of honor. The only reason this method of slaughtering livestock isn't banned is because of religion. It's a joke.
RE: Why is halal legal?
Compassion is indeed for the weak! However, Halal is a joke. Before anyone jumps in and makes the claim "but such and such has proven Halal to be an effective policy for food safety"..dodging the issue that I would dispute the claim... is it unreasonable to assume that a group of people who subscribed to a completely unsanitary method of food safety..during the bronze age...may not have survived to pass on their particular culinary fixations? In other words, the religious sect lost to history, which proposed the wholesale consumption of human feces did not leave any descendants to remember the rules.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think it's on a par with the JWs anti transfusion nonsense. A doggedly strict adherence to a practice that has been clearly proven to be barbaric.

Then again, there's nothing to be proud of in the unethical treatment of animals in general we all (generalising) support.
Meh, I doubt that lions would give us a better deal than the one we give our livestock..were the shoe on the other foot. Some of the shit we do to our livestock is absolutely terrible though..lol.

BTW, I have a former JW friend that had an interesting insight on that as a nurse in my hometowns ER (we have alot of JW..and Scientologists too,,,beyond the point). The ones who came in unconscious, and were identified as JW largely did not receive transfusions (some did apparently regardless of their beliefs).....the ones who came in conscious....apparently ceased to be JW long enough to let doctors save their lives with transfusions. Anecdotal, but I always remember it when people mention JW and transfusions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:In other words, the religious sect lost to history, which proposed the wholesale consumption of human feces did not leave any descendants to remember the rules.

No, no....xtians are still around and they all eat shit.
Australia has a short term ban on live cattle transport after film from Indonesian abattoirs was aired on national TV.
Stunning would seem to solve many objections but the font of all wisdom didn't need electricity 1500 years ago, so why change now?

I think worse than the end is the final weeks of life, sheep are crammed onto ships and many die in the heat and shit on the way across the Indian Ocean. The ones lucky enough to arrive in the holy land get tossed in some car trunk and then get taken home to face a noble death.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Quote:Meh, I doubt that lions would give us a better deal than the one we give our livestock..were the shoe on the other foot.

Tu quoque (appeal to hypocrisy) and irrelevant. IE I may not use your crimes to justify my crimes.
LOL, padraic, was just an amusing turn of phrase. I've been in food production for awhile, and I'm an avid hunter. I've dropped the hammer on more than a few animals in my time and I'd be lying if I told you that they died with dignity. When pressed about this, I can admit abject cruelty for no reasons other than to satisfy a predatory instinct and the love of barbecued meat. I only have myself to point at here. Halal, on the other hand, is preparing livestock in a manner that is assumed to appease the lord god.
Why would Halal be illegal? So far it seems you cite only pain in the creature before it dies. Well so fucking what?

And yet I really don't care either way. Mostly eat fruit/grain/vegetable as it is.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Because, Sae, there are in fact laws against cruelty, even in the butchering business. Halal avoids these laws by claiming that it is an article of faith. Not that you would care, of course.

Complete accord between us on the "so fucking what" though...lol. I mean, I am about to eat this animal aren't I. Can't think of anything more "cruel".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why halal meat??? Mystic 91 10654 October 1, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Black pudding is Halal, apparently Napoléon 44 11715 May 19, 2015 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Pork Is Actually Halal...Sort Of....Maybe? ReptilianPeon 8 3335 March 7, 2015 at 8:57 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Halal meat: is it truly better for you? Gooders1002 27 7710 January 6, 2013 at 12:40 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko