Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Catholic Church evolves
The Catholic Church evolves
The BBC Wrote:The Vatican is sponsoring a five day conference...The subject is the compatibility of evolution and creation.
So will science be assimilated by the religion who opposed it? If God is infinite, can she exist in infinitely small gaps of human knowledge or will there come a point where there's too little left to believe?
Happiness is all that's important. What makes me happiest is making my loved ones happy.
RE: The Catholic Church evolves
(March 3, 2009 at 5:49 am)moodydaniel Wrote: So will science be assimilated by the religion who opposed it? If God is infinite, can she exist in infinitely small gaps of human knowledge or will there come a point where there's too little left to believe?

No it won't be assimilated but it may be adopted more strongly and, of course, the Rat Catcher's will spin the tale that they never really had an issue with it.

IMO all believers in religions with creator gods are "creationists" of a sort, it's just a question of where one places the creation event. Thinking on the debate Adrian and co. are having I don't really get why the fundy's don't accept evolution (common descent from pre-exiting life-forms) because, to my mind, a god that can start that kind of ball rolling is inherently more powerful than one that has to micro-manage the entire process. Ultimately I think they reject evolution because of bigotry ... they simply can't accept that humans are just another great ape, an animal like all the rest.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Yeah, interesting point Kyu.

Just because this hypothetical God would take an easier way out and just start life off and let it evolve; - it doesn't mean the God is incapable of doing all that micromanaging. It just means it is not doing the unecessary, is; arguably much more elegant in going about its creationTongue, - and is not 'showing off' needlessly so for that reason, also (at least in my eyes) is arguably less of a shallow-minded git Tongue lol.

"Oh look at me I can move everything at once and create or the little wiccle and biggy wiggy animals (P.S: I'm a git!)."

Arguably perhaps creating the process - and coming up with the idea - of evolution would take a lot of work...; although on the other hand evolution, and particularly natural selection, is a very simple idea Wink

And yeah; if God isn't capable of doing it arguably the easier way, and he has to mess about and micromanage, then he's a bit limited for a (or THE :S) so called omnipotent God eh? Tongue

At least the Vatican is moving on having the idea of accepting evolution. Of course I assume they'll continue to believe in creation though!!
(March 3, 2009 at 6:38 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: they simply can't accept that humans are just another great ape, an animal like all the rest.

Of course they can't. It's a compliment to think that the all powerful, all knowing creator of the universe thinks about them. But to go from that sort of ego to the one that accepts that there is no god or deity or power looking down on you... well, it would make a dent in anyone's self esteem Wink

I honestly think that they will slowly assimilate it. Not fast, but over time as science does away with their 'bulletproof' faith, they will come to accept evolution. They have no other choice. Already, they are not following facts. Over time, more evidence will come out and some will slowly turn. But some will remain believing creationism. For all their 'wisdom' their faith in god will only get stronger as the evidence becomes even more undeniable. Their faith will get stronger and more outrageous as facts denying the existence of a god become more numerous.

I love how smart these guys are Confusedhock:
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Former Catholic MR. Macabre 666 12 1230 October 2, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 788 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  The connection between Catholic priests and Muhammadan pedo gangs? ReptilianPeon 18 6470 May 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Catholic miracles beatlesman 97 16314 December 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4355 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Is the catholic church a force for good? justin 78 20578 March 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Catholic fuckers Zen Badger 1 1087 February 6, 2013 at 6:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Catholic Church targets 'non-cognitive elites' NoMoreFaith 8 4268 March 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Obama health plan and the Catholic church Ziploc Surprise 7 3575 February 13, 2012 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  A Catholic convert calls on his Church Amphora 2 2328 September 3, 2009 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: socialchameleon