Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama Rickrolls Twitter poster (true)| Twitter
President Obama Rickrolls Twitter poster (true)| Twitter

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/statuses/...8044329985

What a hoot! In last night’s Twitter discussion about the very dry debt discussions, someone complained about their dryness to President Obama. His response is on Twitter is above, which includes a Rickroll.

Commentary on the Rick Astley disco video (which holds one of the highest hit counts on YouTube because the Internet phenomenom of Rickrolling) is mostly positive, noting Obama has a sense of humour. One poster said he'd been the butt of the ultimate prank by being Rickrolled by the President.

Rickrolling first occured on the Internet image-sharing board http://www.4chan.org . By the next year, Rickrolling had spread throughout the Internet. In 2008, the ultimate Rickroll occurred on television, with Rick Astley appearing by surprise on national television and performing the song at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade unannounced. The entire viewing audience of the parade was thus “Rickrolled” by Astley himself.

The first known Rickroll by a government official seems to have been Nancy Pelosi last year, in a video celebrating the start of the House of Representative’s new YouTube channel. Halfway through the video, showing cats roaming her office, the viewer is Rickrolled.

“Never Gonna Give You Up” is the only hit and only single by Astley, reaching #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 and #1 in the UK.

Rickrolling defined: Rickrolling is an Internet meme that involvs the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley remake of the disco song "Never Gonna Give You Up." The meme is a bait and switch which seems to have been invented on the image-sharing manga board http://www.4chan.org (adult for language and nudity): a person provids a hyperlink that they claim is relevant to the topic at hand, but the link actually takes the user to Astley's video. The link can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user couldn't determine the true destination of the link without clicking. (That is what President Obama did last night.)

When a person clicked on the link and was led to the web page, he or she is said to have been "rickrolled".
James

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here's my story, sad but true WinterHold 50 3252 August 13, 2023 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  True Detective on religion. Jehanne 2 779 September 4, 2022 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Tim Pool challenges Jack Dorsey and Vijya Gadde on Twitter baises EgoDeath 0 199 March 5, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Tim Pool exposes bias on Twitter on the Joe Rogan Experience EgoDeath 0 261 February 9, 2019 at 3:38 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  A President Show Documentary: The Fall of Donald Trump Fake Messiah 0 325 October 18, 2018 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  One True God by the Austin Lounge Lizards. Jehanne 0 383 February 16, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Please Tell Me This Isn't True Minimalist 60 3397 December 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What if Obama said the things Trump has said? Aegon 6 1054 August 7, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Gravitas To Be President? Minimalist 2 349 October 16, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Twitter JohnNelson98 7 989 July 26, 2014 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: JohnNelson98