Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RE: More hydroponics in ag.
Wanted to toss you this link Sceptic (Skeptic?). There's an older paper, and one that I love quite a bit as well (McMurtry, M. R., Nelson, P.V., & Sanders, D.C. (1988)), Nelson however appears to be the one who has really taken the whole thing and put it in the marketplace of late.

https://www.aquaponics.com/aquaponics/aq...erview.php

My interest in this is specifically http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/educa...system.pdf

It's one piece of an overall farm plan I've been putting together for a few years. Looking to get the whole thing up and running here in the Bluegrass. Year round production of local veggies and (especially) fish. We're landlocked, decent premium for fresh stuff. The yearly freezes allow me to use exotic species that were considered invasive in FL. but here are not seen as any threat whatsoever due to their inability to survive outside of captivity in this region. It's good stuff, thought it might generate an interesting discussion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: RE: More hydroponics in ag.
I must admit I only read a little of both and skimmed the rest, although I'm pro hydroponics I'm vegan for ethical reasons and an abolitionist with regards to the use of animals by humans so aquaponics is not something that interests me.
You have objections to domestic production of fish, can I hear them? I have to field things like this every day with potential shareholders or clients, it's nice to stay abreast of the trends.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm)Skeptic Wrote: I must admit I only read a little of both and skimmed the rest, although I'm pro hydroponics I'm vegan for ethical reasons and an abolitionist with regards to the use of animals by humans so aquaponics is not something that interests me.

I hope your clad naked and typing through rocks, because pretty much everything you're using uses animals in some fashion.
(July 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You have objections to domestic production of fish, can I hear them? I have to field things like this every day with potential shareholders or clients, it's nice to stay abreast of the trends.

Taking the lives of sentient animals and using them as commodities is what I oppose.

(July 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: I hope your clad naked and typing through rocks, because pretty much everything you're using uses animals in some fashion.

Not being able to avoid all harm to animals is not a good reason for me not to try to do my best.
Well, in all fairness, I don't have to kill the fish, I can keep them alive in the tank for nutrients. Would that be kosher?
(July 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm)Skeptic Wrote: Taking the lives of sentient animals and using them as commodities is what I oppose.

Can you post another thread relating to the ethics of veganism or whatever you use?

(July 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Well, in all fairness, I don't have to kill the fish, I can keep them alive in the tank for nutrients. Would that be kosher?

Tell me Rhythm, do you have any pointers on where to consult for the keeping of cuttlefish?
Cuttlefish, whew, like as pets or aquaculture enterprise? There's a lot of info on cuttlefish as pets I'm certain, the commercial side isn't as well fleshed out, serious barriers to domestic production.

I did find this pretty quickly http://www.stickycricket.com/cuttle/arti...index.html , actually reading it right now..lol. (There's a ref list at the bottom) You looking at putting the coin down for a big aquarium?
(July 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Well, in all fairness, I don't have to kill the fish, I can keep them alive in the tank for nutrients. Would that be kosher?

Don't know about kosher but it's not an idea I'd support.

(July 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Can you post another thread relating to the ethics of veganism or whatever you use?

You can if you like, I'm only posting here because Rythm specifically referred to me in the OP as I said I had an interest in hydroponics.

Well, I suppose what I would ask you to do Skep, in this situation, is consider the vast amounts of animal life that would be saved, both from wild fisheries, as well as from the reduction in fossil fuel based nutrients that we currently require. Surely there can be a type of system where some are set in place to ensure the safety of the larger group.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hydroponics paintpooper 17 4978 February 2, 2012 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger