Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bart Ehrman: Certain to Piss Off Fundies
Bart Ehrman: Certain to Piss Off Fundies
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bart-d-ehr...40301.html

Quote:Apart from the most rabid fundamentalists among us, nearly everyone admits that the Bible might contain errors -- a faulty creation story here, a historical mistake there, a contradiction or two in some other place. But is it possible that the problem is worse than that -- that the Bible actually contains lies?

Most people wouldn't put it that way, since the Bible is, after all, sacred Scripture for millions on our planet. But good Christian scholars of the Bible, including the top Protestant and Catholic scholars of America, will tell you that the Bible is full of lies, even if they refuse to use the term. And here is the truth: Many of the books of the New Testament were written by people who lied about their identity, claiming to be a famous apostle -- Peter, Paul or James -- knowing full well they were someone else. In modern parlance, that is a lie, and a book written by someone who lies about his identity is a forgery.

Most modern scholars of the Bible shy away from these terms, and for understandable reasons, some having to do with their clientele. Teaching in Christian seminaries, or to largely Christian undergraduate populations, who wants to denigrate the cherished texts of Scripture by calling them forgeries built on lies? And so scholars use a different term for this phenomenon and call such books "pseudepigrapha."

You got it, Bart. A tissue of lies!!!

RE: Bart Ehrman: Certain to Piss Off Fundies
Bart Ehrman use to be a Fundy. I've not read all of his books. I use to be quite the bookworm but not so much anymore. I do respect and admire his forthrightness however.
His critics remind me of the line in "A Few Good Men" to their insisting the Bible is absolute and true; "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
Truth is not as lucrative as the lie.

Religion is, at the end of the day, a business.

Quote:What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
-- H L Mencken
Quote:"How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us!" Pope Leo X

Though Pope Leo did exist, it's a matter of contention that he actually said these words. Whether or not he did is immaterial to the import of the concise description they afford in defining religion as a whole.

A mythic savior of the world, a miserable failure, a lie created from the imagination of men who's names in the testament to his existence aren't even true. So then the question remains; who saves Christians from the lie they expect to save them from god?
After common sense, intelligence and critical thinking have been crucified in the name of holding faith there stands a chance deception is proof of love.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
Why should I or any christian get upset at the ravings of a deluded atheist lunitic. This man has no idea what he's talking about and in the little statement posted I see his deceptive wording, no since in paying any real attention to this man.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Why Christians persist in not spelling "sense" correctly I don't know. Maybe it's because they're so bad at having any.

>This man has no idea what he's talking about
Which man? Also, if you mean the Pope, I would say he has a pretty damn good idea what he's talking about, being the boss.

>Why should I or any christian get upset at the ravings of a deluded atheist lunitic.
Was that a question? I think it must have been because it started with "Why", but I was confused by the lack of a question mark (?) which is the standard method of denoting a question. Mind you, experience of your respect for spelling and grammar should have taught me to be on my guard by now, so my bad, I guess.

In answer to your maybe-question: Why shouldn't you? Doesn't the Bible go on about spreading the good news (one of the nicer ways it says it. Others are more along the lines of "Kill Heathens! Big Grin")? I would have thought, if your antecedents failed to spread the good news to their own leader, that should lead you to question whether their good news was in fact a load of bollocks.
LOL. Pretty impressed with yourself, eh G-C?

Isn't pride one of your fucking deadly sins? Go tell your invisible friend you're sorry and try not to compare your miniscule brain to Bart Ehrman's. The man knows more about your fucking bible than you can ever hope to learn.

(August 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm)Godschild Wrote: Why should I or any christian get upset at the ravings of a deluded atheist lunitic. This man has no idea what he's talking about and in the little statement posted I see his deceptive wording, no since in paying any real attention to this man.
No SINCE eh? Because.. as we all know, without god, nothing makes since.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm)Godschild Wrote: Why should I or any christian get upset at the ravings of a deluded atheist lunitic. This man has no idea what he's talking about and in the little statement posted I see his deceptive wording, no since in paying any real attention to this man.

That's so amusing --- simply juxtapose the words christian and atheist ---- and it's actually word for word EXACTLY what we think of you and Statler.

Yeppers ... I believe whatever
you tell me pastor!
Nope, don't worry, I won't ask any questions.
I'm just a simple minded sheep.
Flock Me!

[Image: sheep-gif-%20(11).gif]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Far from deluded Bart Ehrman is a respected scholar of the New Testament, whose opinion of the New Testament is in accordance with the majority of his profession. I have read Bart Ehrman's works and I find little in them what other biblical scholars have not said before.

Also you misspelt lunatic by the way.

undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bart Ehrman is an hero LinuxGal 44 2683 November 4, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2969 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  how to get kicked off a christian forum Drich 61 8569 April 30, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: no one
  What do the conservative Christians here think of Professor Bart Ehrman? Jehanne 69 5993 March 8, 2019 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6077 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9711 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Bart Ehrman destroys Christianity in under 12 minutes. Jehanne 145 16764 July 1, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bart Ehrman Has A New Book Coming Out Minimalist 20 3690 March 23, 2016 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Fundies are Whining Again drfuzzy 20 3953 February 27, 2016 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 37528 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus