Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 in 6 Dutch Protestant priests atheist or agnostic | BBC
1 in 6 Dutch Protestant priests atheist or agnostic | BBC

A very interesting post about the Dutch Protestant Church. It seems that a particular priest was singled out for removal from the pulpit because of his atheistic views by parishioners, but the Church chose not to do so, because they felt singling out this particular priest when one in six in the DPC are either agnostic or atheist would be unfair.

The whole article is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14417362 . The first few paragraphs below:

An imposing figure in black robes and white clerical collar, Mr Hendrikse presides over the Sunday service at the Exodus Church in Gorinchem, central Holland.

It is part of the mainstream Dutch Protestant Church, and the service is conventional enough, with hymns, readings from the Bible, and the Lord's Prayer. But the message from Mr Hendrikse's sermon seems bleak - "Make the most of life on earth, because it will probably be the only one you get".

"Personally I have no talent for believing in life after death," Mr Hendrikse says. "No, for me our life, our task, is before death."

Nor does Klaas Hendrikse believe that God exists at all as a supernatural thing.

"When it happens, it happens down to earth, between you and me, between people, that's where it can happen. God is not a being at all... it's a word for experience, or human experience."

Mr Hendrikse describes the Bible's account of Jesus's life as a mythological story about a man who may never have existed, even if it is a valuable source of wisdom about how to lead a good life.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: 1 in 6 Dutch Protestant priests atheist or agnostic | BBC
In Australia I would seriously there are some Anglican, Uniting and even Catholic ministers who might be atheists. Father Bob Maguire and maybe Rev. Francis Macnab of Melbourne are examples I would give.
undefined
1 in 6, holy shit, this ties in well with Dan Dennet's research into atheists at the pulpit.
(August 5, 2011 at 7:15 am)theVOID Wrote: 1 in 6, holy shit, this ties in well with Dan Dennet's research into atheists at the pulpit.

John Loftus said that being a Christian minister is among job which are more likely turn people into atheists. Loftus argued that in their dealings with people, they often come to the conclusion the Holy Spirit cannot exist.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chief Priests and Roman Authorities Ferrocyanide 19 1347 February 28, 2022 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2543 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2116 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Catholic priests allowed to exorcise demons in English pocaracas 48 8597 November 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Australia church abuse: Priests 'must report' confessions zebo-the-fat 77 12785 August 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Women as priests Der/die AtheistIn 53 8298 August 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5787 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6628 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  BBC's Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism Cyberman 5 1499 March 12, 2016 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  sexual themes in Protestant hymns drfuzzy 22 4786 November 30, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy