Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women as priests
Women as priests
Why don't some christian denominations still accept women as priests? Some do, why not all of them? Were in the 21st Century and in the free world, for crying out loud! And why don't most of the moderates have a problem with this? I get it from the fundamentalists, but why moderates? Even as a christian kid, I found this rule stupid. 
My mother's sister is married to a priest (he's an orthodox priest, they can get married), and she works as a teacher. How can a smart woman (a little to emotional, though), who has a job, wanna have a husband that works in an institution that doesn't allow women?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Women as priests
If she's religious, she's happy with the situation because it's what God wants, lol! and it pays the bills.
If she's not religious, then she shouldn't take personal offense at the stupidity of religions. (and be happy that her husband is working at all. lol!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The most active oppressors of women in religions seem to be other women. I guess its the "50 shades of grey" wanting to be dominated thing coming out in them.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 16, 2017 at 4:25 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: The most active oppressors of women in religions seem to be other women. I guess its the "50 shades of grey" wanting to be dominated thing coming out in them.
But why do moderates accept this?

Charlie Chaplin
Dafuq?

Old Testament and New, woman can't instruct men in religion.

You're free to announce a revelation, write up some new Sacred Scriptures and start your own religion, you know, be HONEST about how you are seeing YOUR faith works and what you see as your message to the world. But seriously, advocating heresy/apostasy inside an existing faith??

Come on.

Shit.

It's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. That's desecration. You're so sure you're on the right track with God, put in the leg work, do the work and start your own faith.

This hammering an existing religion into what YOU want is offensive. And wrong theologically too. An eternal and unchanging God, as no doubt YOUR new religion is going to present Him/Her is going to frown on folks coming in and wanting to change things, and yet you feel justified to waltz in to another church, running for 2000 years possibly, and start change THEIR shit to fit YOUR ideas about how THEY otta be doing things.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 16, 2017 at 4:57 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Dafuq?

Old Testament and New, woman can't instruct men in religion.

You're free to announce a revelation, write up some new Sacred Scriptures and start your own religion, you know, be HONEST about how you are seeing YOUR faith works and what you see as your message to the world.  But seriously, advocating heresy/apostasy inside an existing faith??

Come on.

Shit.

It's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.  That's desecration.  You're so sure you're on the right track with God, put in the leg work, do the work and start your own faith.

This hammering an existing religion into what YOU want is offensive.  And wrong theologically too.  An eternal and unchanging God, as no doubt YOUR new religion is going to present Him/Her is going to frown on folks coming in and wanting to change things, and yet you feel justified to waltz in to another church, running for 2000 years possibly, and start change THEIR shit to fit YOUR ideas about how THEY otta be doing things.
I don't get your point. First off, I think that religion is man made and there is no god. The rule that women shouldn't be priests is made by men, who wanted controll. And if God was real and good, he wouldn't stop anyone who worshipped him based by their sex.
Second, how about other jobs that were only for men? Do you think that we should've create other jobs for women, instead of letting them have man-only jobs? Or how about the wright to wote? Should've women get the wright to vote anything else but what men were voting?

Charlie Chaplin
You seem kind of distressed and a little surprised that religions are not free and equitable institutions.  I'm not sure how to process that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 16, 2017 at 5:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You seem kind of distressed and a little surprised that religions are not free and equitable institutions.  I'm not sure how to process that.

Boru
I'm surprised because most moderates don't say anything about this.

Charlie Chaplin
(July 16, 2017 at 6:13 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(July 16, 2017 at 5:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You seem kind of distressed and a little surprised that religions are not free and equitable institutions.  I'm not sure how to process that.

Boru
I'm surprised because most moderates don't say anything about this.

Probably because, in the grand scheme of idiotic things religions get up to, the non-ordination of women isn't even on the radar. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Is there anything in the Bible that specifically says that women will get into the golden cube called New Jerusalem?

Yeshua and Paul had groupies but the women were not in positions of leadership. Yeshua said that there are no marriages in the kingdom of God, which is true if there are no women there. In Revelation chapter 7 it mentions a lot of people but none of them are referred to as being women. The fairy tale in 1 Timothy 2:15 says that women will be saved in their work of having children but it doesn't say where or what they will be saved from or what they will get for being saved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chief Priests and Roman Authorities Ferrocyanide 19 1384 February 28, 2022 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2548 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2125 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Catholic priests allowed to exorcise demons in English pocaracas 48 8608 November 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Australia church abuse: Priests 'must report' confessions zebo-the-fat 77 12839 August 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Three Christian Women marry Jesus Divinity 21 4330 July 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian war on women Fake Messiah 30 4429 April 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Apologists Act Like Abused Women Rhondazvous 17 4052 May 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How can women be Christian? stop_pushing_me 45 8249 August 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Huckabee And Women's Bathrooms Nope 48 10103 June 7, 2015 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Losty