Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Corporate Greed"
"Corporate Greed"
Much has been made lately about "corporate greed" and how much people hate it. As a businessman myself, it strikes me as hating the fox for eating chickens. What else do you expect? It's their nature.

The first thing I learned in Organizational Behavior 101 is a simple rule: You get what you reward.

Don't hate the fox for eating your chickens. Hate the stupid system that put the foxes in charge of your chicken coup. We don't need to hope that "corporate greed" magically goes away. We need a government that can properly regulate the market to counter balance corporate power.

The problem as I see it is not just corruption is in the system but that corruption is so much a part of the system that you can't get elected without selling out in some way. "Pay to play" is the rule. That money has to come from somewhere and the providers will expect something in return. That money is then used for political ads that run on 30-second soundbytes rather than substantive discussion of the issues.

Solution that I would propose? Ban all political advertisement. Replace them with debates. Free speech remains free, but you can't buy more.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: "Corporate Greed"
I think reversing the 'Citizens United' ruling by the SC would also be a good start.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Popcorn
Hate not contributing anything useful to your threads, DP, but until Adrian runs his fix and hopefully gets the subscribe button working for me, you'll have to excuse the squatting. Big Grin
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Funniest thing is that "Corporate Greed" is the very Humanitarian projects...I'm sure that I saw an article from some Uni study about some where...

Snacks
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Don't hate the fox for eating your chickens.

Tally Ho!!!

[Image: fox-hunting-1.jpg]
In my opinion, the best way to tackle corporate greed is a strong trade union movement supported by a progressive government.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(August 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm)bozo Wrote: In my opinion, the best way to tackle corporate greed is a strong trade union movement supported by a progressive government.

Unions can be bad too if they get too powerful. Potentially they can protect inept workers and restrict management's hand in rewarding talented but non-senior employees. I believe that capitalism works best when there's a balance, corporations vs. government, unions vs. management.

That said, the balance of power has shifted radically too much in favor of corporation/management.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:Potentially they can protect inept workers

The one thing I noted in my union days was that when managers whined about inept workers they were never talking about themselves. Some of the management decision that employees were expected to overcome were truly mind-boggling.

Most of business' problems come from shitty management decisions that they try to blame on the workers.

Well...WHO hired those inept workers in the first place? Wasn't the union.
Quote:Much has been made lately about "corporate greed" and how much people hate it. As a businessman myself, it strikes me as hating the fox for eating chickens. What else do you expect? It's their nature.

In their nature? Of course,they are human beings.

Can't help but think of the Roy Orbison song "Working For The Man":

Quote:I work all day
Without much pay
But I'm just biding my time,
For the com-pan-y
And the daughter you see
Are both gonna be all mine

It's not so much that people resent greed and corruption all that much,but they REALLY resent being excluded. Tiger
Yes, corporations exist only to produce a profit for share holders. If it was legal they would blow up Jupiter if it made them a profit, so to say.

That's why we have regulation. They can only make profit within set "lines."

For example: It saves them money if they dumped toxic waste into a lake so people living around the lake say "nah, brah" and laws are made forbidding them to do so. They make less profit but, hey, the people have spoken!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 798 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Fuck These Corporate Cocksuckers! Minimalist 17 4111 November 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Interesting Double Standard by the Corporate Media Minimalist 2 690 August 31, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Damned Corporate Scumbags Minimalist 11 2900 June 30, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even Corporate Criminals Can't Stomach Drumpf Minimalist 1 724 June 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Wherever There Is A Corporate Prick Trying To Fuck People Over Minimalist 1 958 May 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm
  Remember This Slimy Corporate Prick? Minimalist 20 4258 December 18, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Damned Corporate Cocksuckers Minimalist 40 8209 June 14, 2015 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another Look At How The Corporate Scum Fuck Over Workers Minimalist 13 2734 June 10, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ah Corporate Patriotism....Paid For By The Taxpayers...of course! Minimalist 2 960 May 12, 2015 at 4:29 pm