Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Sequitur
Non Sequitur
[Image: 78ac64f0a507012e2f8300163e41dd5b?width=900.0]
RE: Non Sequitur
You have the same regard for philosophy as I do.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Mental masturbation?
It was the only game in town for a long while. Credit where credit is due. That being said, we have more refined tools for specific jobs nowadays eh.
I like philosophy, but regardless of what one thinks, a degree in philosophy is only worth the paper it's printed on.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Mental masturbation?

Only most of it,not ALL of it.Cool Shades
I've never agreed with the use of philosophy for arguing about the existence of gods as practical. As Min has stated it is nothing more than mental masturbation at best. I love classical philosophy and their many and sometimes humorous reflections about life and our place in it, but once they extend that to religion I switch to "not this bullshit again" mode. LOL
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(August 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: I like philosophy, but regardless of what one thinks, a degree in philosophy is only worth the paper it's printed on.

It's as useful as you want to make it. I got an undergraduate degree in philosophy, and found that it prepared me very well for law school. Any course of study which teaches critical thinking and writing skills is useful, imo.
(September 2, 2011 at 10:37 am)Bandoman Wrote:
(August 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: I like philosophy, but regardless of what one thinks, a degree in philosophy is only worth the paper it's printed on.

It's as useful as you want to make it. I got an undergraduate degree in philosophy, and found that it prepared me very well for law school. Any course of study which teaches critical thinking and writing skills is useful, imo.

Perhaps, but writing skills I got from English, Creative Writing, and Literature 101 & 102. As for critical thinking, I've been doing that my whole life and some would argue (and I know several people who agree with me) that philosophy isn't meant for critical thinking, it is meant for conjecture only. Philosophy doesn't solve, it only analyzes.

However, I don't really care all that much - just playing Devil's advocate. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2121 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1553 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7181 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12025 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 21830 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12643 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1962 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  God as a non-empirical being noctalla 39 5665 April 19, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  On non-belief and the existence of God FallentoReason 72 13784 August 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-literal atheism? stonedape 42 7669 August 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: stonedape