Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi all
hi all
new here and hopefully like to get involved in some good discussions here, in a open but respectful manner. Would most likely class myself as an agnostic. I don't beleive in religion or god as such, as I believe more in science. owever I do hold the slight hope that something higher than ourselves exists, as to provide some explanation as to why certain things happens aswell as the reason for our existence and also the hope for some kind of afterlife. As a child I have been exposed to both islamic teachings and Christian teachings (coming from a mixed heritage background) but have grown up with the choice to think and feel for myself. So thats me, hope to have some good convos on here.
RE: hi all
welcome
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Welcome.

One question, as I've seen this line before and it leaves me puzzled. When you say "I don't believe in religion" what do you mean by that?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 31, 2011 at 8:24 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Welcome.

One question, as I've seen this line before and it leaves me puzzled. When you say "I don't believe in religion" what do you mean by that?

Well I guess what I mean Is I don't believe it to be true. If we go on the main abrahamic religions that most in the world seem to subscribe to at the moment. If you look at most religions they are contextual to the times in which they were created, and I do not believe a divine power created them. I believe it was man made. If religion is man made, then to me, its not religion at all. My interpretation is that it can only be religion if it is what everything religious people say it is, in that it is the word of god etc. Seen as I cannot prove God's existance or whether religion is the word of God, then I do not believe in Religion.

I do however see some benefits of religion, but at the same time I also see the benefits of nuclear weapons. However it does not mean I believe in them, or that it is the definitive answer to a particular problem.

I guess also its a figure of speech, used loosely without really considering the actual meaning behind the words......
Okay, thank you for the clarification.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome sir and good day.
Cunt
I can't prove that God exists either, and I don't know anyone that can. It is... unprovable. That's one thing we can know. So to say that you don't know because you cannot prove it seems to be like searching for a fully black white.
fr0d0 do us all a favour and shut the fuck up. Thanks.

Welcome newbie Big Grin
Hope in one hand and shit in the other. Welcome aboard bud. ( I also hope there is something higher than ourselves, imagine MY disappointment.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I can't prove that God exists either, and I don't know anyone that can. It is... unprovable. That's one thing we can know. So to say that you don't know because you cannot prove it seems to be like searching for a fully black white.

I cannot prove that the Good Folk exist, so should I go around wasting my time leaving cakes and whiskey out for them?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2142 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
Thumbs Up HEY ALL Y'ALL Droppin' Loads 10 3930 September 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amphora