Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer BSoD?
Computer BSoD?
Right...
I just got this computer a couple weeks ago, installed Norton security, installed a few games, and I haven't had any trouble so far. (aside from needing to use LAN instead of wireless internet for some reason)

I created a Steam account and started to download the Killing Floor. As I waited, I decided to play another game, so I started the other game, suddenly BSoD hit.

I restarted the computer and didn't lose any data. Even my half-done Killing Floor install was ready to resume right away.

Any thoughts on what could have caused this? I've heard of driver issues, overheating, or bad RAM, but this is a prebuilt with the latest drivers and a very spacious tower with several large fans, so I doubt overheating or drivers were the issue. I'm not even overclocking anything...

Maybe the cpu was just overworked? I had two games downloading, a game playing, music playing, and two web pages open. Thoughts? Suggestions?

EDIT: On second thought, I checked the task manager and virtually all available RAM is being used to download the games, so that may have been the cause. Still, I'd like to hear other possibilities. I just spent way too much on this computer and I can't risk it dying.
RE: Computer BSoD?
Have you got any peripherals plugged in? Usually it's a driver failure, caused by a printer, or a webcam, etc.

When it happens next time, write down the error (I know, it takes time, but there is a reason it gives you information) and post it here.
If your computer is BSOD'ing under moderate load, I'd usually check the cpu temperature and reseat the memory.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Eww... Norton *spits*

Could be a ram fault as you were pushing the far reaches. We need the fault code to tell us tho'. I doubt there'd be anything in the event log - but did you check that??
I have heard that Norton does take up a major slice of processing and RAM. Undecided

I never use it.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Well, it hasn't happened since. If it BSoDs again I'll deal with it in more detail, but for now I'm going to assume it was the result of running too much stuff at once and adopt a casual/watchful stance while using this computer. Case closed...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple computer! zebo-the-fat 8 650 September 22, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Could we teach a computer to lie? Mechaghostman2 8 587 October 27, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever feel like eating your computer? paulpablo 9 1109 October 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What computer do you have? paulpablo 67 11031 September 29, 2016 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Computer memory and storage dyresand 22 3196 June 29, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Any computer nerds here? Hard reboots abaris 37 7060 March 31, 2016 at 7:57 am
Last Post: rado84
  Time to build a new computer ... Aractus 34 6319 August 14, 2014 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Nine
  The Computer Thread wolf39us 45 10257 July 1, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5634 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Heretic Becomes a Businessman: The story of computer repair Creed of Heresy 4 2396 April 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt