Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare
Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15060310

Quote:A few million virtual monkeys are close to re-creating the complete works of Shakespeare by randomly mashing keys on virtual typewriters.

I didnt think this would actually happen.
Thats the world for you....full of surprises.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare
Theist:
"All things are possible with God."

Atheist:
"All things are possible with typing monkeys."
One of these things is not like the other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Of course. Big Grin
(September 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15060310

Quote:A few million virtual monkeys are close to re-creating the complete works of Shakespeare by randomly mashing keys on virtual typewriters.

I didnt think this would actually happen.
Thats the world for you....full of surprises.

I think I remember an older project that happened years ago which I think only manages to get to 24 letters from Henry IV, Part 2. Here's an Internet Archive cache of that site. It took 2.73785 duodecillion (that's one followed by 39 zeros) "monkey-years", or in human time, about a year and a half.
"RUMOUR. Open your ears;" is the farthest anyone'd gotten.

Another attempt of note at the complete works of shakespeare can be found here.

Forgive me for not believing that they were less than random.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Perhaps we should give some weight to the notion that the cosmos is trying to improve literary efficiency by way of the human machine. It's probably starved for reading material after all this time.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'd always assumed that the 'typing monkey' scenario, involved a monkey who given enough time, would type the whole works in one go, not have lots of other monkies typing and then all their work being scrutinized by an outside intelligence??

I looked up 'typing monkies' to try to find where it is used when defending creation (I couldn't remember how it is used). I found this article, which I'm sure is not a fair reflection on evolution, but I'm only citing it for the mathematical claims. I'm terrible at maths, so hopefully one of you guys or gals can check the maths and let me know if this article has a point? It's not very long and it's called:

'Those typing monkies don't prove evolution'

http://www.unmaskingevolution.com/20-typing.htm
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
Of course they don't. It's the fossil record, genetic sequencing, and biology in general that supports evolution by natural selection. If typing monkeys were the proof, we'd have reason to reassess our understanding.
(September 29, 2011 at 10:00 am)Rhythm Wrote: Of course they don't. It's the fossil record, genetic sequencing, and biology in general that supports evolution by natural selection. If typing monkeys were the proof, we'd have reason to reassess our understanding.

Yes, but I think this example of 'probability' is more to do with the probability of life occurring in the first place.
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
Ah, monkeys of probability. Yeah, determining the probability for something like that is a sticky issue, because we have a lot of questions about the environmental circumstances at the time, even the exact time itself. There are some great examples of how patterns can form and sustain themselves from a very very simple set of rules (see; conways game of life), but these sorts of things aren't really the purvey of evolution itself. More abiogenesis (as you've said, of course).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virtual reality. paulpablo 36 6390 February 22, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Living in Death
  What's the Deal with Virtual Computing? AFTT47 3 994 May 3, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: bennyboy