Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] WHY should I believe?
[split] WHY should I believe?
Just this morning one of my facebook friends posted that godawful picture floating around the nets these days about atheism being "nothing coming from nothing magically nothing happening, yada yada yada" and some shit friend of his said that atheists needed to learn to change their ways or they would go to hell, which was a very real place and he knew which place HE'D be going to.

I said, great! We atheists should be in excellent company then!

[rant]

I'd like to know what the fuck it is that I do that's so wrong. So I drive like a maniac sometimes, but otherwise, I pay my fucking taxes, I give to charities, I try to volunteer with the Charlotte atheists to help the city and schools out when I can, I help old ladies out when I see them, I open doors for people, I smile, I'm going to school with the hope of helping the sustainability movement (injecting some non-hippisms into it, of course) and hope I can do something to aid with the hunger crisis coming upon us. I have dreams, and I don't go out raping, murdering, and pillaging. But you're telling me that even though I do my best every day to bring a smile to the faces of those I encounter and lift up hearts and all that other sugary bullshit, I am not going to "heaven" because I don't believe in the groaty-dressing son of a Jewish carpenter? Are you goddamn kidding me?

/rant.

Therefore, Atheist Forums exists.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Username Story
(October 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I'd like to know what the fuck it is that I do that's so wrong. So I drive like a maniac sometimes, but otherwise, I pay my fucking taxes, I give to charities, I try to volunteer with the Charlotte atheists to help the city and schools out when I can, I help old ladies out when I see them, I open doors for people, I smile, I'm going to school with the hope of helping the sustainability movement (injecting some non-hippisms into it, of course) and hope I can do something to aid with the hunger crisis coming upon us. I have dreams, and I don't go out raping, murdering, and pillaging. But you're telling me that even though I do my best every day to bring a smile to the faces of those I encounter and lift up hearts and all that other sugary bullshit, I am not going to "heaven" because I don't believe in the groaty-dressing son of a Jewish carpenter? Are you goddamn kidding me?

I, I, I, Me, Me, Me. Can't you see that you're so self obsessed summer Wink

Lol just kidding.
It's because without religion people have no morals, didnt you get the memo?
(October 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Just this morning one of my facebook friends posted that godawful picture floating around the nets these days about atheism being "nothing coming from nothing magically nothing happening, yada yada yada" and some shit friend of his said that atheists needed to learn to change their ways or they would go to hell, which was a very real place and he knew which place HE'D be going to.

I said, great! We atheists should be in excellent company then!

[rant]

I'd like to know what the fuck it is that I do that's so wrong. So I drive like a maniac sometimes, but otherwise, I pay my fucking taxes, I give to charities, I try to volunteer with the Charlotte atheists to help the city and schools out when I can, I help old ladies out when I see them, I open doors for people, I smile, I'm going to school with the hope of helping the sustainability movement (injecting some non-hippisms into it, of course) and hope I can do something to aid with the hunger crisis coming upon us. I have dreams, and I don't go out raping, murdering, and pillaging. But you're telling me that even though I do my best every day to bring a smile to the faces of those I encounter and lift up hearts and all that other sugary bullshit, I am not going to "heaven" because I don't believe in the groaty-dressing son of a Jewish carpenter? Are you goddamn kidding me?

/rant.

Therefore, Atheist Forums exists.

So what stops you from believing when your doing all those supposed "good" things?
Is it proof or that you just cant, you give know thought to the notion?
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
god doesn't care about any of that because you don't mention kissing his ass.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
It's because some people hate that others expend more effort than they do to make the world a little more positive and therefore have to come up with shite reasons why they're still on the same or better level than you.
(October 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm)C Rod Wrote: So what stops you from believing when your doing all those supposed "good" things?
Is it proof or that you just cant, you give know thought to the notion?

Huh? Was that supposed to be that I give "no" thought to the notion?

I've never really believed - I figured out when I was 10 years old that "ain't no one listening." Also, as Ryft will tell you, I just don't care. I don't have time for that mental masturbation. But if you'd like to continue this conversation in a split thread (so we don't muddy Loading's), I'd love to know why I should believe just because I "already do good things".
Whoops, split it but didn't rename it - if someone could change that, I'd appreciate it.

CRod, go ahead now. Please explain. But I have to get to class and I'm hoping to hit the gym afterwards so I might be slow in responding.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7767 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1437 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 757 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10486 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13781 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28730 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10217 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  [split] Warm Greetings - The Not Welcome-y Stuff BrianSoddingBoru4 74 7869 May 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  [split] FSTDT Fundie Of The Year Awards 2015 Rev. Rye 173 39925 February 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Shooting clubs [split from Abiogenesis is impossible] DramaQueen 27 4037 August 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger