Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican.
Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican.
I have been giving this a lot of thought over the weekend and the more I think about it, the angrier I get.

I was sitting at a Thai restaurant with a friend. We were talking about how regions adapt ethnic foods to their own taste. Americans love Taco Bell, for example, yet Mexican tacos are nothing like that. Chinese food in America is not authentic. We were sharing examples like these and I made a comment in my regular voice, no change in tone or anything, “Well, me being Mexican, I admit we make most foods spicy even when the authentic version doesn’t go that way.” When I said I was Mexican, my friend’s eyeballs wanted to pop out and her head made a sudden jerk from side to side to see if anyone heard. She realized what she did and tried to go back to normal. I let it go.

Then on another occasion we were sitting at a bar. “Well, my Mexican instinct tells me to try it, but I won’t, because I don’t handle tequila very well.” Again, when I mentioned being Mexican, same reaction.

She’s not Mexican, by the way. So, I asked her about last time and this time and waited for her explanation. Maybe I was taking it the wrong way. Our conversation went something like this:
She: oh, I didn’t mean to seem shocked by you, but you just took me by surprise and I guess I wanted to see how people would react. You just yelled it!
Me: I didn’t yell it. The tone in my voice and the volume never changed.
She: it felt that way.
Me: Why?
She: Well, you just blurted it out as if nothing.
Me: nothing what? Like it’s not a swear word? Like it’s ok to be Mexican?
She: Not like that... it’s just that you’re so like whatever about it.
Me: why shouldn’t I be?
She: I don’t know. I’m not Mexican. I don’t know how I’d talk about it in public. It makes me nervous. Give me a break.

Well, damn.
I should whisper the word Mexican in public, because omg how will people react.

I’m MEXICAN and I’m AMERICAN and my ethnicity will pop up into my conversations because it’s part of my fucken identity and I’m PROUD of my background and I will NOT whisper it to someone who isn’t Mexican so she doesn’t lose her comfort in her perfectly label acceptable world.

I remember a dude from Chile who lives in LA. He once asked me how I liked living in the USA. It was an odd question to me, because I was born here and mostly raised here, too. “I love it. It’s my home.” He said, “Really? Don’t you know?” I asked what he meant. He says, “That everyone in the US hates Mexicans. They confuse all of the rest of us with you and we have to explain that not all brown people are Mexican. Your people are really hated in the US.” Dude. Don’t I know about racism and prejudice? Yes. Don’t I know that there’s people who would love to have a reason to say, “See! Told you Mexicans are criminals!” Don’t I know other minorities also look down on us and hate being confused with one of us? Don’t I know that, “You’re too pretty to be Mexican,” is really an insult? Don’t I know? Yes, mother fucker, I know.

But I also know that this is MY country and nobody can take that from me. I know that MY family has made our people proud. I know that not everyone around us thinks the same way and I know that I am NOT ashamed of who I am or what blood is keeping me alive.

Why the fuck should I be ashamed? I grew up being ashamed of so many parts of my identity, and I won’t waste my adulthood being prudent about something like my race. There is no merit in your place of birth, and there is no merit in your bloodline. You didn’t earn it. You had no choice. I do, however, have a choice in how I identify myself and how I carry my labels. People will label people and let me tell you something. I’ll wear all my labels proudly. They are my skin. They are my story.

I will not whisper my name.

End rant.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican.
I'm thinking she was gauging the reactions of others because of the current political atmosphere created by the Trumptard and his bigotry against Mexicans.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I'm thinking she was gauging the reactions of others because of the current political atmosphere created by the Trumptard and his bigotry against Mexicans.

She looked scared. Like she saw a ghost. Like high beams were in her face.
Maybe she was afraid of unwanted attention from Trump supporters who wouldn't care about verbally assaulting you.
~ Erin Hunter
So? I should whisper? I should hide? What?
(March 18, 2018 at 4:15 pm)J a c k Wrote: So? I should whisper? I should hide? What?

No. The issue lies with her, not with you. She just needs to not be so paranoid.
~ Erin Hunter
People have been beaten up for less.  This is 'Murrica' you know and Arizona is full of redneck morons.
Be proud of who you are.

Screw everyone else, especially the haters.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 18, 2018 at 4:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: People have been beaten up for less.  This is 'Murrica' you know and Arizona is full of redneck morons.

Error-zona.
This is a subject dear to my heart. My ethnic background is Syrian/ French Canadian. I grew up in Boston, Ma. When I was 11 we moved to Phoenix, Az. My folks rented a home in Phoenix from Boston without seeing it first. We moved right into the barrio.

This is a recent photo of a Dia de los Muertos celebration at my old Junior High School:

[Image: IMG_5176.jpeg]

I learned something valuable about Mexicans. Before 1860 this was Mexico:

[Image: 9718328_orig.jpg]

So, you have to take into consideration the Chicano. Mexicans who were here before it was the U.S. They did not go away because the gringos won a few wars. They continued speaking Spanish, making chorizo and tamales, celebrating their daughters Quinceaneras. They continued making music and art. The "Mexicans" are just as much a part of the USA as the Cajuns.Just as much as part of USA as the French are a part of Canada. There is no way to disentangle Mexico from the US of A. Viva la Raza!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 753 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2206 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  OP/ED RANT... "You live in your parent's basment" Brian37 59 9484 May 1, 2016 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health Dystopia 49 9254 October 30, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Late night rant geckomamasita 1 1264 October 4, 2015 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Rant time The Valkyrie 8 2116 July 8, 2015 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: c172
  'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant) IanHulett 45 6789 June 19, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  AF Rant thread. Iroscato 30 3429 June 4, 2015 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  [rant] Gave church 5 months to answer my questions. What was I thinking? IanHulett 3 1499 May 10, 2015 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Rant mode on. Royal Family Brian37 93 13510 April 29, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Polaris