Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opera browser??
Opera browser??
I came across some rave reviews on this browser on Ratskep.

Does anyone here use it as their default browser? I'b be interested in opinions,especially if you can say why you think Opera is better than Firefox or Chrome.

I've been using Firefox for years,but over the last few months it's become a bit of a pain. I'm currently using Chrome as my default browser,and have installed Opera.

I llked Firefox especially because of the addons;Eg I'm missing the pop up blocker on Chrome;getting all kinds of shit.
RE: Opera browser??
Because of AdBlock they will have to pry Firefox from my cold dead fingers.
opera is okay.
i use it on my phone. I'm a chrome girl all the way!

Adblock for Chrome?
Hey Min; I found an ad blocker extension for Opera,works fine.
(October 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Because of AdBlock they will have to pry Firefox from my cold dead fingers.

All major browsers, including IE, Opera and Chrome have ad blocking extensions.
(October 4, 2011 at 7:18 pm)padraic Wrote: I came across some rave reviews on this browser on Ratskep.

Does anyone here use it as their default browser? I'b be interested in opinions,especially if you can say why you think Opera is better than Firefox or Chrome.

I've been using Firefox for years,but over the last few months it's become a bit of a pain. I'm currently using Chrome as my default browser,and have installed Opera.

I llked Firefox especially because of the addons;Eg I'm missing the pop up blocker on Chrome;getting all kinds of shit.

Speaking as a web developer I like it, It renders code beautifully, solid support for web standards and bleeding-edge technologies. I see no reason to use it over Chrome as my daily browser but I make sure all my sites work properly in Opera.

Chrome and Opera both have popup/ad blockers, my Chrome browser gets far less popup's than Firefox, it also blocks less "intended" popups.
Opera is a closed source project. As such, they claim to be one of the most secure browsers out there, but the truth is that the idea of "security through obscurity" is one of the most flawed pieces of thinking in the security world. They *could* be the most secure browser out there, but we'll never be able to tell without looking at their source code, and I bet plenty of hackers have reverse engineered Opera and done just that.

I'll stick with a mixture of Chrome + Firefox.
(October 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: As such, they claim to be one of the most secure browsers out there, but the truth is that the idea of "security through obscurity" is one of the most flawed pieces of thinking in the security world.

Well, yes, it is a silly way of securing anything... I see it as perhaps a way to keep idiots out...

I have only ever used Opera on my Internet browser for my DS... So, I can't really say much about it.
Cunt
I used opera for a short while on Windows, I found it to be quite fast.
undefined
(October 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Opera is a closed source project. As such, they claim to be one of the most secure browsers out there, but the truth is that the idea of "security through obscurity" is one of the most flawed pieces of thinking in the security world. They *could* be the most secure browser out there, but we'll never be able to tell without looking at their source code, and I bet plenty of hackers have reverse engineered Opera and done just that.

I'll stick with a mixture of Chrome + Firefox.

They might be closed source but they more than make up for it in their support of open web standards and compliance, a much more important thing than having open code.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Tor browser FlatAssembler 67 5827 July 27, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Getting Tired of the Browser Wars Rhondazvous 4 721 December 7, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1873 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal