Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Seeking' God
'Seeking' God
I saw this in another thread and thought it warranted it's own:

Quote:God has said that He will only reveal Himself to those who dilligently seek Him. So I can only point to Him:

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So it to you to verify this claim, and I have told you a simple way you can do that. It is surely worth your time. You say you're "pretty sure" but in actuality you don't know.

This statement is nothing more than an excuse. Anyone who hasn't 'found God' can simply be told they didn't seek him earnestly enough.

Now, since I don't see any evidence for God's existence, why would I spend time seeking it in that way? No, it isn't worth my time, because my life continues just fine without it, as does everything else, as far as I can tell. Also I would contend that it is far from 'simple'. And here's why.

I don't take things on 'faith', and I cannot control my beliefs. It states that I need to believe in him to find him, but this would require serious doublethink on my part, of which I am incapable. A few questions, then, for any theist who believes that bollocks.

1. How can I believe in something that I don't believe in, just in order to find it? And if I already believe in it, what is the point of the search in the first place?
2. How should I search for God?
3. How long will it take?
4. How will I know when I have found him?

Over to you.
RE: 'Seeking' God
I too saw that, and laughed.

Funny how in mother Teresa's diaries, she says god has not spoken to her ever.

Sure she was a better Christian then Lucent and more 'diligent' in finding 'him'.
In my experience people who look for 'something spiritual' find 'something spiritual'.
the market place is crowded with these faux truths, 'believe' the one that most suits you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"Credulous people will only listen to what they want to hear, they will only believe what they want to be true".
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
"Credulous People will only listen to what they want to hear, they will only believe what they want to be true".

FYP
That's it. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
All I can say to this ridiculous claim by theists is in my signature quote.

Not to mention that people in cultures where Christianity is not the dominant religion and their parents are not Christian, will find completely different gods by using the exact same 'method' that the poster claims will lead us to his god.

This type of statement by Christians is loaded with fail on several levels.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Amusingly I seek all over the place and find nothing. Maybe it isn't just the seeking, but the motivations. Damn, another useless platitude.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
more to the point ...

Why is it is so damn important to their god that he be sought out and "found" by his creations?? Why would anyone need to be "believed in"??? Is being loved and worshiped not enough?? Is it really necessary to create an entire species and then demand that they believe in you rather than just showing up and helping out???

Imagine how much you would be loved if you showed up on the planet you created and regularly made people's lives awesome!

The world would be nearly perfect and there would be no other religions and God would be the greatest hero of all time. Which, in the end really means that their god is the very cause for the world being in the fucked up condition it is currently in.

Thinking
[Image: Evolution.png]

Religion is bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5552 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6458 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17701 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist