Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yep! Another query for the xtians.
Yep! Another query for the xtians.
Is your god the only thing that can cause an "uncaused cause"?

If so, then how does 'free will' work?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Yep! Another query for the xtians.
I don't believe in free will, rather free agency: We are free agents to act as our wills dictate. We are biological machines who's actions result from our instincts and influences.
(October 24, 2011 at 5:53 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I don't believe in free will, rather free agency: We are free agents to act as our wills dictate. We are biological machines who's actions result from our instincts and influences.

You slippery bugger Tongue
Cunt
It isn't the uncaused causer thing which makes God unable to give free will, it is omniscience. The universe must be deterministic in order to require an "unmoved mover"; therefore, God, knowing everything, must be able to see the inevitable conclusion of any set of starting conditions. Since he must have known this when choosing his starting conditions, he effectively decided what path humanity would take when he created the world, which I would argue does not constitute free will.
Then please demonstrate how you are not free to choose what your will would lead you to do than edk.
What I got from it is that God probably isn't omniscient... Not that we "are not free to choose what your will would lead you to do"
Cunt
(October 24, 2011 at 7:35 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Then please demonstrate how you are not free to choose what your will would lead you to do than edk.

I believe that I am. However, if God created us, he could see the future and therefore our choices, which by choosing different starting conditions he could have altered. Therefore his choice of starting conditions predetermined our choices. It's not free will your choices were chosen for you by God.

(October 24, 2011 at 7:39 am)frankiej Wrote: What I got from it is that God probably isn't omniscient... Not that we "are not free to choose what your will would lead you to do"

Well, you can't have both. Since Christians assert that God is omniscient, I do not see how free will can logically exist.
Well I totally agree with you edk, as I define free will as a biological mechanism.
He defines it as such because it came to light that the traditional concept of free will was untenable once god was invoked. God (and all of his creations) just got that much smaller. If "free will" is another one of those biological mechanisms, lets just add that to the long list of shit we don't need your myth for eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If there is no freewill then why have I been able to change my mind about God and who He is. Would it not be better, if a man has no freewill, that he always makes a choice and never change his mind.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A query on Demons TrueChristian 27 5089 January 5, 2016 at 6:10 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Daily Show....and Poor Discriminated Against Xtians.... Minimalist 14 4086 July 30, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Exian
  The Xtians score Rokcet Scientist 8 2948 December 16, 2011 at 10:45 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen