Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Fulfilled Prophecies or The End Times
Self Fulfilled Prophecies or The End Times
I have proclaimed myself as an Atheist for around six months now. I am in the middle of reading the bible to educate myself on what is really in there. When I was a Roman Catholic, I was really discourage to read the bible. Now, with an open mind, I understand why they wanted to discourage me.

One of the triggers that made myself to think about my beliefs was during the "Judgement Day" on May 21, 2011. Now, I really did not think that the end of the world was coming on that day, but it did make me think why I was looking forward to the End Times.

After researching, I realize that most Christians do have the mindset that the best is yet to come in heaven, after we die. I started to think that this is not a healthy mindset. We should be thinking about life now, how to make the time we have on Earth matter.

After six month, I know there is more to learn about using my newly free thinking mind. But man, those old conditioning keep nagging at me.

I was told to look at world events to see signs of the End Times. You know, the extreme weather patterns, famine, drought, the Mark of the Beast, New World Order, the Antichrist, etc.

One other sign is that a lot of people will lose their belief in or reject God. I am concerned if that is what is happening to me. I know, I know it is not rational but the concern is there.

Just a couple of days ago there was news that the Vatican calls for a world government, central bank.

How does a newly atheist reject all the propaganda and lies that they have been told all their lives and stop trying to match or shoehorn current events into a prophecy that was made 2000 years ago?
RE: Self Fulfilled Prophecies or The End Times
You ask for evidence. Even if you're asking yourself. And then arm yourself as best as you can against confirmation bias.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:How does a newly atheist reject all the propaganda and lies

By remembering that it is propaganda and lies.
End of times? There is always an "End of Times". Hell, we had a mini-ice age. Volcanoes, ocean currents, etc.

Little Ice Age
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm)Selrahc74 Wrote: I was told to look at world events to see signs of the End Times. You know, the extreme weather patterns, famine, drought, the Mark of the Beast, New World Order, the Antichrist, etc.

There has always been extreme weather patterns, famine, droughts and people with other ideals than yourself around, they are about as certain as death. That's why the religions use them in order to scare people into obedience. The world will always be a slightly chaotic and scary place, you just have to make the best of it yourself, without adding superstition into the mix.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm)Selrahc74 Wrote: Just a couple of days ago there was news that the Vatican calls for a world government, central bank.

Oh great. That's going to give a lot of fuel to the conspiracy theorists who believe in the "New World Order."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm)Selrahc74 Wrote: How does a newly atheist reject all the propaganda and lies that they have been told all their lives and stop trying to match or shoehorn current events into a prophecy that was made 2000 years ago?

Since it seems that you are only worried about succumbing to Christian prophecy, and not prophecy from one of the other many religions, you might want to read a book on the history of the Bible, who wrote it, how it was compiled, how it was edited, passages added, etc.

Check out the writings of Bart Ehrman, Robert Price (former Baptist minister), John Loftus, Hector Avalos (former Pentecostal preacher), Dan Barker (ex-minister). All these guys began to study the Bible and it's origins in order to strengthen their faith, but their research had the opposite effect.

It will demonstrate to you that there is no possible way to take any of the so called prophecies with any amount of credibility.

Then ask yourself why you have no problem easily rejecting the prophecies from other religions.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
It's easy to not worry about religious "prophecies." Whenever they've set a specific date, especially for the end of the world, it's always been wrong. Others who are wise enough to not set a specific date always say, "very soon," but they've been saying this for 2000 years.

And if you want to get into failed prophecy, Jesus claimed many times that he would return and the end of the world would occur during the lifetimes of those around him but apparently that never happened.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Since about 30 AD (as I recall) they have been predicting dates for the end of the world. Most notably at the end of the 1500's people were sure the end of the world was upon them. All the signs pointed to it. The 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse (what were they...conquest, war,famine and death) had been running amok all over Europe for quite some time. The Antichrist had been properly identified as the pope (they had a series of possible popes to give this accolade to. When one died it was given to the next bastard). Nature itself participated in this by having several years of unusually bad weather. The end was near. When this didn't pan out it left opportunity for future generations to predict the end of the world

Notably the founder of the 7th day Adventists had predicted the end of the world...and made a killing off of ascension robes he was selling. When the date passed with no Jesus he changed the date. His followers liked the religion so much that they decided to keep it despite being left behind twice.

Millennalism is important to Christian Fundamentalism. I ought to start a forum thread on this. In fact I think I will.
I'm sorry I cannot help you more. I have been an atheist for my entire life. However, I will say that rejecting propaganda is easy once you recognize it. You have to have a little bit of a sense of humor about it or it will really piss you off, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  self illusion joe90 18 3120 April 8, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3404 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 6982 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4122 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8647 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1617 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is atheism self-contradictory ? Parsim0ny 259 82869 July 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1935 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1730 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5110 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus