Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia gets Carbon Tax :(
Sad 
Australia gets Carbon Tax :(
Well there ya go...don't look to Australia to be a safe haven for the global economy

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2011/s3359351.htm
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Australia gets Carbon Tax :(
(November 8, 2011 at 7:31 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Well there ya go...don't look to Australia to be a safe haven for the global economy

I seriously believe it is a "smoke and mirrors" effort by the government. Essentially they want to be seen to doing something, while at the same time not actually doing anything to reduce greenhouse emissions. However I do believe there will be higher electricity and petrol prices.

I am starting to think really radical action is needed to achieve reducing net greenhouse gas emissions to zero and "scrub" excess greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. As far as I know it Iron fertilization of the oceans is the only measure we have which will do that, until we can get ourselves off our dependence on coal, oil and natural gas.

* Me voted for the Greens, fully knowing their policies at the last federal election.
undefined
(November 8, 2011 at 8:20 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(November 8, 2011 at 7:31 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Well there ya go...don't look to Australia to be a safe haven for the global economy

I seriously believe it is a "smoke and mirrors" effort by the government. Essentially they want to be seen to doing something, while at the same time not actually doing anything to reduce greenhouse emissions. However I do believe there will be higher electricity and petrol prices.

I agree it is all "smoke and mirrors" Unfortunately this government has not thought through the ramifications of cutting emissions (a most laudable endeavour IMHO) and has opted for the "Cheap & costly" way out of appearing to be doing something to pacify the rabid Greens. There are already higher energy costs and I hear the NSW has reduced it's tariff rebate on Solar power to 20cents in the dollar / KWH. Which is a pitty since as a permaculturalist when others see roof tops and global warming I see "catchment" and global balance.

(November 8, 2011 at 8:20 am)Justtristo Wrote: I am starting to think really radical action is needed to achieve reducing net greenhouse gas emissions to zero and "scrub" excess greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. As far as I know it Iron fertilization of the oceans is the only measure we have which will do that, until we can get ourselves off our dependence on coal, oil and natural gas.
* Me voted for the Greens, fully knowing their policies at the last federal election.

I have no argument about reducing our dependence on coal but the technology and concepts have been around for the last 30-50 years and no government (from both sides) has supported its development. Why should they now?? When Carbon Tax is going to be such a revenue raiser to the point that the Pollies here have given themselves $500,000 pay rises in some cases. How is paying a politician more $$ going to reduce "greenhouse gasses"? It is doubtful and the science modelling is not in yet that a "Carbon Tax is going to do anything to reduce pollution / greenhouse gases/ coal dependency from a country that only contributes 2% to the total global problem. Stories of Al Gore actually being the 'owner' of a Carbon Credits scheme / company also offer llittle or now confidence that the scheme will work other that to line the pockets of the already wealthy.....all in all....suspect.

I hear that "Europe and America and New Zealand have a 'Carbon Tax' and so should we" is just another way of saying that a global recession is on the cards and we (Australia) should be at the party.

It is all infuriating and highly suspect

I will be voting Liberals at the next election.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(November 8, 2011 at 9:05 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I hear that "Europe and America and New Zealand have a 'Carbon Tax' and so should we" is just another way of saying that a global recession is on the cards and we (Australia) should be at the party.

Actually Australia has been lucky at avoiding a recession, that is due to the economic boom in China (which wont last forever). Even then the economy outside WA is not too crash hot at the moment.
undefined
(November 8, 2011 at 9:13 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(November 8, 2011 at 9:05 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I hear that "Europe and America and New Zealand have a 'Carbon Tax' and so should we" is just another way of saying that a global recession is on the cards and we (Australia) should be at the party.

Actually Australia has been lucky at avoiding a recession, that is due to the economic boom in China (which wont last forever). Even then the economy outside WA is not too crash hot at the moment.

Funny thing is that the economy IN WA is not that crash hot atm housing is ridiculous and food and utilities are through the roof. Mining areas are charging $2000-3000pw rental and it is very hard for anyone to get a job in the ancillary services (I KNOW, I've been trying hard Dodgy)

Remember that mining only contributes 8.4% of total economy and roughly 50% of our total exports...so the "Mining "BOOM" is another misdirection from this govt and the Greens. (Can't believe you voted for the morons!)
What are they planning to do with the funds raised through the tax Kichi?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(November 8, 2011 at 9:33 am)popeyespappy Wrote: What are they planning to do with the funds raised through the tax Kichi?

All I know atm is that they have given themselves a pay rise. Nothing else 'concrete' has been put forward

There are talks of crediting those who are 'hardest hit" by this tax are going to be full refunded ...but I say well why have a fucking tax in the first place and there will be so many rules and hoops one has to jump through you won't see any rebate at all
Carbon tax is good, do you know how rare that stuff is?

Hmm what?

One of the most abundant?

Throughout the universe?

ow...

Nevermind.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 8, 2011 at 9:39 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(November 8, 2011 at 9:33 am)popeyespappy Wrote: What are they planning to do with the funds raised through the tax Kichi?

All I know atm is that they have given themselves a pay rise. Nothing else 'concrete' has been put forward

There are talks of crediting those who are 'hardest hit" by this tax are going to be full refunded ...but I say well why have a fucking tax in the first place and there will be so many rules and hoops one has to jump through you won't see any rebate at all
That’s too bad. I’m not a big fan of the carbon tax. That’s mainly because politicians can’t be trusted to use the funds correctly. If the funds were used to offset the expense by investing them in alternative energy production it might not be so bad. That strategy has worked somewhat effectively in Denmark.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(November 8, 2011 at 10:09 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(November 8, 2011 at 9:39 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:

That’s too bad. I’m not a big fan of the carbon tax. That’s mainly because politicians can’t be trusted to use the funds correctly. If the funds were used to offset the expense by investing them in alternative energy production it might not be so bad. That strategy has worked somewhat effectively in Denmark.

Oh apparently it is to "stimulate the Big Polluters" to clean up their acts... but with Carbon Credits why should they??

The rebates are for the Old Age Pensioners, but the majority of the population will pay full freight. Not so bad if you have the jobs market to support it but China is cutting back on it's imports and the Mining industry is only 8% of the total economy...I'm no accountant but the figures are just not adding up for me enough to call this a good thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia) GrandizerII 7 990 October 7, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Wyoming Senator gets booed at Commencement. Jehanne 4 674 May 17, 2022 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 786 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 864 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 848 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 936 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3320 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1017 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  And The Noose Gets A Little Tighter.... Minimalist 0 409 February 15, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2636 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger