Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia)
So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia)
For context: https://voice.gov.au/

Basically, there is a proposal to get the Voice (representing the needs of indigenous communities in Australia) enshrined into Australia's Constitution. And because this means a change to the Constitution itself, a referendum from the Australian population will be required. If the majority of Australian vote yes to this proposal, and the majority of states vote yes, then it's a pass. Unfortunately for the Yes side, and with voting day coming very soon, polls show that it's doomed to fail.

That said, I'm going to be voting "Yes", albeit after quite a long time of thinking this through. I certainly don't believe the Voice is going to cause division (if anything, the division is already there anyway), and I do believe the First Peoples of Australia are entitled to some form of genuine recognition that won't just suddenly be dismissed the minute the government decides they could care less about that (which history has shown to have happened a few times before). And it's just an advisory board, nothing more. But I feel the Yes campaign has been terrible at effectively delivering the message to the Australian people and answering whatever concerns they may have. Yes, some people have strong prejudices against what is being perceived as granting special status to Indigenous people and have already made up their minds that they'll be voting "No" (not to mention falling prey easily to misinformation and fearmongering tactics from the No campaign), but there are plenty of those who are just confused about the whole thing and don't know what they're voting on exactly.

The booklets that were mailed to all voters a while ago, presenting both sides of the argument, certainly didn't help, with the No side clearly presenting a more [superficially] compelling case in the booklet than the Yes side. I had to watch a lot of videos and read a lot of stuff to finally be convinced that, yes, this is at least a fair way to go.

Who here is an Australian, and what will your vote be? To the rest, feel free to share thoughts or questions. Maybe I might be able to address some of them.
RE: So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia)
Dunno
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I’m in favour of anything, anytime, anywhere that addresses the concerns of indigenous people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I grew up learning that the original inhabitants of Australia were criminals placed there by England. A place that was their prison.
~ Erin Hunter
(October 7, 2023 at 4:02 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I grew up learning that the original inhabitants of Australia were criminals placed there by England. A place that was their prison.

The original inhabitant of Australia were indigenous people who were there 50 000 years before the first Europeans showed up.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 7, 2023 at 4:02 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I grew up learning that the original inhabitants of Australia were criminals placed there by England. A place that was their prison.

Wait, is this sarcasm? Big Grin
(October 7, 2023 at 4:04 pm)GrandizerII Wrote:

Wait, is this sarcasm? Big Grin

No.
~ Erin Hunter
Foxaèr Wrote:
(October 7, 2023 at 4:04 pm)GrandizerII Wrote: Wait, is this sarcasm? Big Grin

No.

Well, like Boru said, the original inhabitants were in Australia long before the first Europeans arrived here. But yes, European convicts were transported here around a couple hundred years ago. And they were perhaps the first European inhabitants of Australia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 775 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful zebo-the-fat 6 603 September 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1470 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Australia: Martyr complex among "no" voters GrandizerII 39 4685 November 21, 2017 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare Aegon 26 5169 May 6, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Vader and the Crew run for Parliament... Fidel_Castronaut 1 683 October 3, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  In a Taliban hotbed, a woman runs for Pakistan's parliament pocaracas 3 1931 April 10, 2013 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Violet
Sad Australia gets Carbon Tax :( KichigaiNeko 20 3269 November 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Conservative Voice Light of Truth 44 10375 December 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Ashendant
  Among the wealthy, a new voice for fiscal sacrifice Houston I Am 30 9516 December 21, 2010 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris