Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Pseudoscience, Heresy, and Climate Change
On Pseudoscience, Heresy, and Climate Change
http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.c...heresy.pdf

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/01/th...tt-ridley/ (where the speech was reposted with slides)
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: On Pseudoscience, Heresy, and Climate Change
YES!

I like this guy! Heart
[Image: Global%20warming.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hmm. Tangent to alternative energy sources? Check. Placing blame of manufacturing on the technology? Check. Climategate allegation? Check. Use of singular anomalies (scientific heresy) as if a significant trend? Check.

For someone who spends time criticizing the science, of which I found most interesting and wish to see answered by climatologists, he liked to include a fair amount of politically related causes and talking points.

Color me skeptical of his entire message, but I do wish to see further analysis of the climate impact statistics greatly.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(November 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.c...heresy.pdf

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/01/th...tt-ridley/ (where the speech was reposted with slides)

Matt Ridley believes that fossil fuels ended slavery (I guess he isn't aware of all the slavery that still exists in the world - oops). Lincoln must be rolling over in his grave.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Quote:Vaccination is science; the MMR scare is pseudo-science
Thanks Matt, my sister's adverse reaction to the damn jab can safely be discounted.

The MMR vaccine controversy is still alive and kicking.
(November 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Matt Ridley believes that fossil fuels ended slavery (I guess he isn't aware of all the slavery that still exists in the world - oops). Lincoln must be rolling over in his grave.

If the book I'm currently reading is to be believed (and I've been marking all over it to look things up) he has something of the right idea at least in the US, but it would be foolish to so intimately equate the two when there's really more like 3 or 4 degrees of separation. Agriculture was forever changed with the introduction of fuel burning machines, and slave labor was no longer needed. But that is neither here nor there, and no, it didn't end slavery elsewhere.

Slavery ended here when it did because it was politically expedient to finally give in to the abolitionist movement.
Slavery ended here because the South lost the war.

Same difference when you tot it up, love.
(November 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm)Welsh cake Wrote:
Quote:Vaccination is science; the MMR scare is pseudo-science
Thanks Matt, my sister's adverse reaction to the damn jab can safely be discounted.

The MMR vaccine controversy is still alive and kicking.

Um no the MMR false link to autism has been thoroughly debunked by numerous scientific studies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4311613.stm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/articl...77,00.html

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-summary.htm

The pro-link to autism side seem to come up with some dubious science.
Like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...utism.html

which says that in an area that with an MMR vaccination program, kids with autism had had the MMR vacine. This is as surprising as saying New yorkers tend to live in the New york area.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well, as Min has said, slavery ended in the US because the south lost the war. However, the introduction of fossil fuel based technology (read: farm machinery) and the death of sugar would have had a profound effect on any sort of slavery that existed then or could have continued. Some would argue that immigrant laborers are, at the very best, indentured servants..and that slavery has continued along very predictable lines. Agriculture used to be extremely labor intensive. It is no such thing today. The only niche that would have remained is in tasks that require considerable manual dexterity and experience (picking ripe fruits for example) for which there is still no suitable piece of machinery. This is exactly the niche that migrant field workers fill. Couple dollars a day (that's all the job is worth, honestly), their children can work; and there are no healthcare, housing, or labor laws that effectively protect them from malfeasance. Volunteer for one day at a community farm (make sure they know you want to work and aren't just a tourist). Grab yourself a beer at the end of the day and ponder over the fact that the beer you're drinking represents the total proceeds from 14 hours worth of labor in that same field, to a migrant worker.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5904 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 18307 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I am so sick of climate change deniers. Brian37 34 3099 November 23, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Can we recover from human caused climate change? Aroura 27 7038 November 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Climate Change and ecological collapse ph445 42 9407 August 3, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Various ways of fighting climate change dyresand 15 3456 April 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 2969 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Will modern society slow the progress of change? Heat 11 2923 May 10, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Climate change Won2blv 56 11128 May 17, 2015 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Climate change skeptic turned proponent Surgenator 26 6619 February 19, 2015 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Surgenator