Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologist junkfood for thought
Apologist junkfood for thought
A summary of a conservation yesterday between some hopelessly convinced individual who shall remain nameless, and myself:

Quote:Mr X: "Look Welsh cake, if you don't believe in Christ and acknowledge him as saviour you'll go to hell."

WC: "But what about babies, infants whose minds are too young to accommodate these beliefs? You're saying they'll go to hell too?"

Mr X: "No. Everyone will know the truth after the resurrection and confess Jesus is Lord and every knee shall bow in the afterlife."

WC: "So, if we're all destined to meet up with Jesus in the next life and have little choice but to acknowledge his existence, why the redundant "hell threat" in this life then?"

He couldn't answer. I did nothing but simply question his own beliefs/dogma. Is arguing with apologists is often as mind-numbingly tedious as it is pointless? To think of all the paint in the world I could have watched dry, as trivial as that sounds, at least I would have gained something from that mundane exercise. >.>
RE: Apologist junkfood for thought
(November 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: A summary of a conservation yesterday between some hopelessly convinced individual who shall remain nameless, and myself:

Quote:Mr X: "Look Welsh cake, if you don't believe in Christ and acknowledge him as saviour you'll go to hell."

WC: "But what about babies, infants whose minds are too young to accommodate these beliefs? You're saying they'll go to hell too?"

Mr X: "No. Everyone will know the truth after the resurrection and confess Jesus is Lord and every knee shall bow in the afterlife."

WC: "So, if we're all destined to meet up with Jesus in the next life and have little choice but to acknowledge his existence, why the redundant "hell threat" in this life then?"

He couldn't answer. I did nothing but simply question his own beliefs/dogma.

I can imagine how this conversation might go forward, if only Mr. X knew the right fundy things to say:

Mr. X:  "That’s an easy one!  God in his infinite wisdom, knows who would have accepted Jesus before they died, but didn’t get a chance to because they: died as babies; or, were indoctrinated into a Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, etc, etc, religion; or, were retarded and couldn’t understand the concept.  Those people will all be “saved” on resurrection day!  But, if you were a normal person and chose not to believe in Jesus like you should have, then you will go to hell."

Quote:Is arguing with apologists is often as mind-numbingly tedious as it is pointless?

Yes.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
I have no problem with apologists per se. By definition an apologist is simply defending a position.

BUT I do have problems with dogmatic apologists of all stripes. That pretty much includes theologians and devout members of the Abrahamic faiths, each of which has the intellectual arrogance to claim exclusive truth.
Quote:He couldn't answer. I did nothing but simply question his own beliefs/dogma. Is arguing with apologists is often as mind-numbingly tedious as it is pointless? To think of all the paint in the world I could have watched dry, as trivial as that sounds, at least I would have gained something from that mundane exercise. >.>

Usually yes, some are kind and admit they don't know. Arguing with the others is, as you've described, "mind-numbing", yet for some reason I still choose to have a debate with forum members like tackattack.

Why do I choose to debate with people with no analytical ability? I don't know. I keep thinking that perhaps with extended debate I can get people like that to think critically and improve their analytical ability. The result of the experience is to wish that I had spent the time watching paint dry instead. They say that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result every time. I must be insane then.

Perhaps I ought to suggest to the forum creators that a font resembling that which could be produced when a crayon is used as a writing impliment be available to forum members. Perhaps if it is written in crayon it would make it easier tor certain apologists to understand.Angry

Question answered and my rant is over.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Geez... I hate stupid people.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 29343 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17452 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2013 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 9958 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1280 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4131 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "unconditionally" kmthang 118 20603 January 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sad thought about Jesus. TrueChristian 130 21998 December 25, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Happy thought about Jesus. BrianSoddingBoru4 36 5238 December 23, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well i thought id put this here dyresand 3 1347 November 2, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: dyresand