Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logic 101
Logic 101
This is a thread which will serve as a kind of index for other threads which deal with certain aspects of logic. Anyone who wants to contribute should start a new thread dedicated to some part of logic (an argument, a fallacy, etc), and then contact a staff member so that this thread can be updated.

Logical Fallacies

Ad Hominem
Whining "Ad Hominem" by DeistPaladin

No True Scotsman
A Quick Reminder About The "No True Scotsman" by Tiberius
RE: Logic 101
Does anyone know what the fallacy of presenting the phenomena/place in question as "ontological proof" of any given supernatural being's existence is?

Like for example: "The Universe is proof of a God."
"The Forest is proof of Unicorns"

And so on...
(November 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Does anyone know what the fallacy of presenting the phenomena/place in question as "ontological proof" of any given supernatural being's existence is?

And so on...

Isn't that the argument from ignorance?
Trying to update my sig ...
Here is a cool taxonomy of logical fallacies. I know I didn't follow the guideline and made a thread about it, but I just wanted to share this.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/taxonomy.html
(December 3, 2011 at 11:55 am)Epimethean Wrote:
(November 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Does anyone know what the fallacy of presenting the phenomena/place in question as "ontological proof" of any given supernatural being's existence is?

And so on...

Isn't that the argument from ignorance?

Nope, argument from ignorance is "you can't prove It's false, thus its true" or "you can't prove it's true, thus it's false"

Quote:Not every insult is an ad hominem.

Indeed.Man people don't seem to grasp the difference between "You are stupid BECAUSE you are a Christian (ad hominem) and
'You are stupid AND a Christian" (insult)

Not all believers are stupid,but most stupid people are believers.
Quote:Nope, argument from ignorance is "you can't prove It's false, thus its true" or "you can't prove it's true, thus it's false"

True enough,but 'argument from ignorance' is a lot broader than that. See Wikipedia.
Quote:Indeed.Man people don't seem to grasp the difference between "You are stupid BECAUSE you are a Christian (ad hominem) and
'You are stupid AND a Christian" (insult)

Insults are usually irrelevant and thus usually fall under red herring.

Quote:Not all believers are stupid,but most stupid people are believers.

Well, most everyone is a believer, period. So I would probably agree that most stupid people are believers; my guess is that most smart people are believers, too.

And so on...

Is that necessarily a fallacy? There is no phenomena or 'place in question' that gives an ontological proof for a supernatural being's existence?

If these are fallacies, I'd probably categorize them under non sequitur, since the conclusion doesn't follow from the premise.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Hey CliveStaples whats up?
discipulus, two things. Please don't necropost and Clive hasn't logged in since 13th December 2012, so don't hold your breath for an answer.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

On the other hand, Kay, it was nice to see Pad's name up in lights again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 912 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11172 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 980 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  On Logic and Alternate Universes FallentoReason 328 37277 November 17, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Formal logic for Dummies? LadyForCamus 48 8622 February 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic meme drfuzzy 10 3542 January 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4855 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17321 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1558 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 2975 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle