Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formal logic for Dummies?
Hi guys!

So, since coming to AF I have taken an interest in formal logic, and logical fallacies. I've been perusing the web for fallacy practice quizzes, and logic 101-type crash courses, but I was wondering if you well-trained whizzes might have some recommended resources for a lay person of average intelligence like me! I figured you guys probably know some of the better sites because you've used them as tools. Any input would be wonderful! Smile. Thanks in advance! [emoji5]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: Formal logic for Dummies?
Nice post. Ya, ya, me too. I need me some undumbnification!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Nice reference:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fallacies/

Not nitpicking as I understood your meaning, but the fallacies you wish to discover are actually part of informal logic.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-informal/

Happy hunting!
(January 27, 2016 at 10:56 pm)Cato Wrote: Nice reference:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fallacies/

Not nitpicking as I understood your meaning, but the fallacies you wish to discover are actually part of informal logic.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-informal/

Happy hunting!

No, I APPRECIATE the nitpicking! How else will I learn? Smile
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
LFC, just remember the golden logic triangle!

Jesus is a man
Stimbo is also a man!
Do I need to spell it out?

Yes, it's true! He really is our resident in prophet!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I thought this here was a non prophet organization!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Hi guys!  

So, since coming to AF I have taken an interest in formal logic, and logical fallacies.  I've been perusing the web for fallacy practice quizzes, and logic 101-type crash courses, but I was wondering if you well-trained whizzes might have some recommended resources for a lay person of average intelligence like me!

It's very unlikely that, given the thoughts you've expressed in your posts, that you're just average in intelligence. I suspect most members here would be at least above average (IQ-wise).
Is there a punchline coming Irrational?
Or is that it? Just good old fashioned blunt rudeness?

[Image: y66bb.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 28, 2016 at 5:33 am)Alex K Wrote: I thought this here was a non prophet organization!

I had to quote this just to show that I got it.  Tongue
In case you've not seen it, I have a page about it on my website here, but it may be too basic for what you're looking for. It's meant to be a gentle introduction with a few common examples of each fallacy/shitty technique. I need to add a few more on there, but I've got most of the ones you see all the time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 917 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11245 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 985 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  On Logic and Alternate Universes FallentoReason 328 38212 November 17, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 commandments of logic meme drfuzzy 10 3562 January 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Logic 101 Tiberius 29 19257 October 4, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4865 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17434 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1562 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 2991 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle