Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise.
Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise.
I came to the realization that the problem of evil is most likely unsolvable. I struggle with it a lot. Moreover there is no logical argument or scientific evidence that leads to conclusion of a Creator that stands to reason.

But for some reason I find myself believing in God still. I feel connected to God.

Logic tells me God doesn't exist and my heart tells me God does exist.
RE: Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise.
(September 27, 2014 at 11:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I came to the realization that the problem of evil is most likely unsolvable. I struggle with it a lot. Moreover there is no logical argument or scientific evidence that leads to conclusion of a Creator that stands to reason.

But for some reason I find myself believing in God still. I feel connected to God.

Is God the only area for you in which your heart trumps logic? That is to say, for example, 'Logic tells me that if I steer my car into this bridge abutment, I'll suffer great personal injury but my heart says otherwise,' means it makes sense to drive into a bridge abutment?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You could always explore what that god is or means to you- if, by this, you meant "I feel myself connected to meaning". just as one example. God could be an umbrella term for a whole host of stuff, really. Perhaps exploring it in that way -without the extraneous "god" bit might be even more productive.

You might actually get somewhere, if you stop looking for phantoms.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
One thing that's important to recognize is that the decisions we make based on emotions aren't often the right ones, and can in fact be damaging. The heart is where we go for rash, impulsive decisions derived more from what feels good than what's true. It can, and will, lead you astray, especially regarding decisions you've accepted for a long time for which the idea of giving them up might seem arduous and painful. We're all human, changing those entrenched parts of us can be scary, and we'll want to resist the idea; comfortable status quos are our wheelhouse.

But if it comes down to retaining a comforting belief that I can't sustain versus giving it up and finding something truthful and meaningful to take its place, well... I know what I'd pick. What's the point of feeling connected to the nonexistent?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Well it may not be a god as we believe, but yes, there sure is something out there, or within that is greater than anything we could ever imagine.......so call it god if you want, myself I call it the essence, or the source. Whatever we call it doesn't matter, its stupid to fight over a mere label, because both parties don't really have a clue.
(September 27, 2014 at 11:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I came to the realization that the problem of evil is most likely unsolvable. I struggle with it a lot. Moreover there is no logical argument or scientific evidence that leads to conclusion of a Creator that stands to reason.

it can only make sense to take heart's counsel if logic tells you there is something there that could possibly requite the feelings of your heart.
Your heart is a muscle that pumps blood. Do try to understand that.
Does your heart also tell you what god is or what it wants from you? How much do you feel justified in believing based on the hunch of your heart?

Can you rule out God being an alien, or something much, much less than omnipotent? Does the sense of God's presence give you confidence that God created the world?

This is good. I think you've just taken your second step towards atheism (the first step being an intellectually honest attempt to validate your beliefs).

Feeling an emotional attachment to an idea you've held for so long, to the extent that you consider it a part of your identity is to be expected. It'd be impossible to let go of it overnight. But contrary to the popular cliche, I believe your heart follows your mind. Once you admit to yourself that there is no logical reason to believe, only emotional one, you'll find that those emotional reasons would slowly stop being important.
Always follow your heart, and never listen to anyone else, at least if you are wrong, it will be your way of learning, where as if you listen to everyone else, you will never learn anything, except what others say, therefore its all second-hand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1659 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3555 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 6866 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 917 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8864 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11251 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32729 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5151 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 985 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4538 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees