Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So.. I'm new here
So.. I'm new here
I registered because I'm interested in the theism/atheism topic. I've been in to it for quite some time now, but i have never joined a forum like this before. I remember the exact moment when I first became interested in the atheism/theism discussion.

I was about 15 years old. I was listening to the teacher reading a story from the bible (it must have been around Easter, i think) as a part of the class (it was a part of the Norwegian school curriculum from grade 2-7). And then suddenly it struck me. People actually believe in this stuff!! There are actually some people out there that believe this.
I couldn't remember meeting anyone who had stated that they actually did. I bet the teacher reading from the bible didn't believe in it. But in school we have these meetings, like two times a year where we sing these songs. And we pray for our lunch at school every day... so SOMEONE must believe this stuff or else we wouldn't be doing this. Up until that moment I had just assumed that it was done purely for the sake of tradition. But for some reason, that very second, it occurred to me that there were people who actually believed in the christian story. And I was completely shocked by that realization.

Norway is weird that way. We have a state religion. It's implemented in our schools (well actually not anymore as of recent). We become members of the state church upon birth (also recently abolished). But other than that - in private or public conversation, religion just doesn't come up. We don't go to church (Norway has around 3% church attendance) and you don't hear any Norwegians say "god bless you" or "thank god". People just don't talk about the guy... accept those ten seconds at school lunch, or those two times a year (Christmas and Easter) when we had to gather and listen to bible stories and sing songs (actually at Christmas it was mandatory church service).

That day when I came home, I made an internet search. I came on YouTube, and found videos about religious people and their beliefs. And I found out that some people actually believes that the Bible is true. I still remember my shock and disbelief when I found out. And that's how i was introduced to the atheist community of YouTube.

I'm proud to say the I'm not that blue-eyed anymore. I've gotten used to the fact that there are crazy people out there, and that (luckily) the majority of them are either on the other side of the Atlantic ocean or on the other side of the Mediterranean sea.

RE: So.. I'm new here
Quote:There are actually some people out there that believe this.

We've got a couple infesting this place. You'll spot them soon enough.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard.
Sup buddy, pull up a chair. Nice to have you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome to the Atheist Forums!
It's warm and cozy here,
We tell the truth how it is Devil

Seems like you'll fit in perfect Cool Shades
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Thanks you guys. Big Grin
Hey, welcome. I am from "The Buckle of the Bible Belt". I know very few people who don't believe that the bible is true, and most of the people I know believe it to be literally true. They tell me I am cursed for having knowledge, they plug their ears and begin to pray when I am talking about something scientific (like evolution), and a few of them even suspect that I am possessed by evil demons that are feeding off my soul's damnation. There is literally a church every 20 feet or so, and so many people attend them, that on Sunday the police have to come out and direct traffic.

Consider yourself lucky! I do!

Welcome to AF.
Trying to update my sig ...
(November 26, 2011 at 9:06 am)aleialoura Wrote: Hey, welcome. I am from "The Buckle of the Bible Belt". I know very few people who don't believe that the bible is true, and most of the people I know believe it to be literally true. They tell me I am cursed for having knowledge, they plug their ears and begin to pray when I am talking about something scientific (like evolution), and a few of them even suspect that I am possessed by evil demons that are feeding off my soul's damnation. There is literally a church every 20 feet or so, and so many people attend them, that on Sunday the police have to come out and direct traffic.

Consider yourself lucky! I do!

I do consider myself lucky to live in a secular society. And the state religion is getting weaker. Our prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, is an atheist, so over the last years, he has removed religious content from many of the laws and public guidelines. Like the guideline stating that school should promote Christianity. And now you actually have to be baptized to become a member of the state church.
Only two of the Norwegian Christians I know believes that the bible is true. Most of them just believes in the Jesus part. They still believe in evolution, and they don't judge atheists. Tho I have heard some Christians tell me that they have been completely isolated for being christian. One got bullied at high school, and her entire class would basically call her mentally retarded for having religious beliefs, even tho she believes in science and scientific theories, like evolution.

So this is pretty much the opposite of what you're used to, i guess. Tho I don't think that's all good. Nobody deserves to be harassed for having harmless beliefs, like that girl does.
Strange to think, back in the 30's you could get sued for blasphemy, and now look at us. :p
Quote:Most of them just believes in the Jesus part.

Ah. What comic Bill Maher calls "the stupidest part!"
Welcome fellow european, welcome and post frequently Smile
Quote:I do consider myself lucky to live in a secular society. And the state religion is getting weaker. Our prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, is an atheist, so over the last years, he has removed religious content from many of the laws and public guidelines. Like the guideline stating that school should promote Christianity. And now you actually have to be baptized to become a member of the state church.

good, i am knowledgable about Stoltenbergs atheism(read it in a good paper)

Only two of the Norwegian Christians I know believes that the bible is true. Most of them just believes in the Jesus part. They still believe in evolution, and they don't judge atheists. Tho I have heard some Christians tell me that they have been completely isolated for being christian.

thats not good or nice

One got bullied at high school, and her entire class would basically call her mentally retarded for having religious beliefs, even tho she believes in science and scientific theories, like evolution.

wow, that is fucking diabolical, i would thrash them, mocking beliefs for laugh(as long as it doesnt offend), ok, but never insult someone like that,

So this is pretty much the opposite of what you're used to, i guess. Tho I don't think that's all good. Nobody deserves to be harassed for having harmless beliefs, like that girl does.

that, we would all agree on

Strange to think, back in the 30's you could get sued for blasphemy, and now look at us. :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 568 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 617 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 991 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1264 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1099 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie