Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling National Forest land to a church
Selling National Forest land to a church
There’s a bill floating around congress, H.R. 1008 The Benton MacKaye Cherokee National Forest Land Consolidation Act, that would sell about 60 acres of the Cherokee National Forest to Towee Falls Baptist Church. If passed into law the proceeds from the sale would be used by the forest service to buy nearby slightly larger parcel of property for addition to the national forest. The purchase price would be set according to a market value determined by an appraisal arranged by the forrest service and paid for by the church.

I don’t have a problem with the proposal, but I have an interest in the church as my Mom’s family has been attending church at Towee Falls for 7 generations now. They need some space to expand the cemetery which is getting rather full. I was wondering though what some of you might think about selling government property to a church.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Selling National Forest land to a church
I can hold my nose and grudgingly accept the congress passing a bill which puts a part of national forest up for sale to the highest bidder from the general public, and it turns out that a Baptist church is the winning bidder.

I am vorciferously against the the congress passing a bill to sell a part of a national forest to a basptist church.
Quote:I am vorciferously against the the congress passing a bill to sell a part of a national forest to a basptist church.

But its for a cemetery. If they bury them all now I could go for it!
(November 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm)Chuck Wrote: I can hold my nose and grudgingly accept the congress passing a bill which puts a part of national forest up for sale to the highest bidder from the general public, and it turns out that a Baptist church is the winning bidder.

I am vorciferously against the the congress passing a bill to sell a part of a national forest to a basptist church.

LoL. Well Chuck, that plan is as likely to backfire as not. Acreage in that part of the county isn’t worth all that much to begin with. My great aunt’s farm is right down the road. It is a much nicer piece of property and has been on the market for 3 years now with no takers. The property in question isn’t exactly desirable as it is pretty steeply sloped. If it sat on the market for a year or two they might get $1200-1500 an acre for it. That kind of price is assured by selling it to the church. At auction they’d be lucky to get half that.

Anyway, that’s what I was wondering. If there would be objections just because it was a church.

(November 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But its for a cemetery. If they bury them all now I could go for it!

Burial in the cemetery is free....

Quote:Burial in the cemetery is free....

Then let's not wait until they die!
Why not...they sell 3 foot square patches of land under a cross in order to get around having religious symbols on public land...why not sell our national forests to the religious...hell, why not sell Yosemite park to the highest bidder as well.
(November 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Why not...they sell 3 foot square patches of land under a cross in order to get around having religious symbols on public land...why not sell our national forests to the religious...hell, why not sell Yosemite park to the highest bidder as well.

I’d like to know what it is that you think is so bad about this proposal Rev? If the bill passes the Cherokee National Forest will end up being bigger than it was to start with. The proceeds from this sale will be used to purchase a bigger piece of the same type of property. Why is that bad?

#1 - I am opposed to selling public land.
#2 - I dispise and distrust the church
#3 - My voice and vote really doesnt count for shit anyways in this matter...Im not some moneyed corporate owner or lobbyist.
If the church is the highest bidder that's fine. If not, there's an issue. Chuck hit it on the head.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah the government should give everyone a chance to buy it. Setting it aside just for a church violates the Establishment Clause. If nobody else were interested in buying it, then I don't care. But they should at least give someone else a chance.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the US need a national hymm? brewer 11 553 February 3, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 608 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Wink Please rise for our new national anthem NuclearEnergy 0 594 June 21, 2017 at 4:40 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole in WLB Land Minimalist 0 1025 June 2, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  National Service account_inactive 136 9179 February 13, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Opoponax
  I still call "Arnhem Land" home! ignoramus 7 1252 January 24, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Apparently Selling Crazy to the Already Insane is Easy Minimalist 12 2214 October 23, 2016 at 7:56 am
Last Post: A Theist
  What if Donald Trump craps his pants on national TV? Jehanne 56 9059 October 11, 2016 at 4:15 am
Last Post: GUBU
  After 8 years of selling fear GOP wants "civil"? Brian37 28 4699 March 13, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I'm leaving Ron Paul land Videodrome 28 3136 February 12, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Aegon