Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Cleveland
New from Cleveland
Hi Everyone,

I am quite obviously new to this forum. I found it while stumbling through the internet looking for heart failure support groups. I am 35 years old, a fairly staunch atheist and just found out I am suffering from severe heart failure. As you can quite imagine, or not, I am feeling fairly alone so...here I am. Typing away at the ever so loving companionship of the computer and internet.

This however seems to be the only recourse I currently have. What support I was able to find in the area was religion based and the only atheist and free thought groups I was able to find in my area are at least an hour and a half away...not an easy feet when I am a full time dad to a 3 month old.

So...Hello...maybe I will get lucky and a handful of you will be from the eastside of Cleveland and decent human beings...
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -Steven Weinberg-
RE: New from Cleveland
Welcome!

You ought to able to find someone out at Glenn but that’s the wrong direction. East side, that’s the side that gets the most snow right?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Hello there.

Sounds like you have a full plate there.
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the ticker, hope that works out ok for you.
(December 5, 2011 at 1:17 am)Cleveland Skeptic Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I am quite obviously new to this forum. I found it while stumbling through the internet looking for heart failure support groups. I am 35 years old, a fairly staunch atheist and just found out I am suffering from severe heart failure. As you can quite imagine, or not, I am feeling fairly alone so...here I am. Typing away at the ever so loving companionship of the computer and internet.

This however seems to be the only recourse I currently have. What support I was able to find in the area was religion based and the only atheist and free thought groups I was able to find in my area are at least an hour and a half away...not an easy feet when I am a full time dad to a 3 month old.

So...Hello...maybe I will get lucky and a handful of you will be from the eastside of Cleveland and decent human beings...

So Cleveland...we all have to die of something. Severe Heart failure?? So why would you think you are alone?? You are, but are not. Yeah I know that sounds like a platitude but there you have it...

YOU are the only person who can do anything for your life.... mind you we are here..so spruik away and we will listen...and probably argue with you but we are REAL.

We don't lie very well though Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"We all have to die of something" is the only quote the healthy use to pacify the dying around them when they don't understand the process of it. Of course we all will die and die of something. That seems like a moot point. The issue is unexpected and untimely death in an otherwise young and healthy person.

Of course many will die young and unexpectedly...but until you are one of them, you can't understand the process or emotional trauma of living it. Can I give myself a hug? Can I give myself the love we crave from companionship? The idea that only we can serve ourselves is incorrect. We can try and strive for change but that doesn't mean we will obtain it and it isn't from lack of trying.

I believe there are something like 9 million children that die every year under the age of 5. Are they the only ones that can do something for themselves? What about their parents? Broke, without transportation, food, health care or any sense of how to change things and make them better.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -Steven Weinberg-
Quote:Broke, without transportation, food, health care or any sense of how to change things and make them better.

Well...to listen to that collection of turds running for the GOP nomination they should apparently go out and get ( non-existent ) jobs.
Quote:So...Hello...maybe I will get lucky and a handful of you will be from the eastside of Cleveland and decent human beings...

G'day mate and welcome from Adelaide South Australia.

Cleveland? That's in Ohio? I'll do you a deal; I'll have a look in my atlas to find out exactly where Cleveland is and you look up Adelaide ,which few people outside of Australia have ever heard of. No surprise if you've ever been here. Perfect place fora heart patient, except for the murders. We are the bizarre murder capital of my great nation.

Regardless from where we're from, I think you'll find most of the people here are decent human beings, even most of our resident theists. After all,being superstitious doesn't make one a bad person.Tiger
Greetings from Vancouver, WA - welcome to our little group. I can only imagine what you're going through at such a difficult time. Several weeks ago, I had my own personal brush with my own mortality - though your situation sounds more dire than my own, there was a time when my survival was very much in doubt, and I can recall very clearly the emotional turmoil and fear that I felt.

I do hope that you're able to get the support that you need. Have you considered individual therapy? I was fortunate in that I had an existing working relationship with a therapist and so that route has been working well for me. Might be something worth considering.

For what it's worth, I found a lot of support from many of the regulars here as well.

(December 5, 2011 at 1:17 am)Cleveland Skeptic Wrote:

Welcome to the forums. Despite tolerating some of us theists, this is a fairly rambunctious group of happy atheists. You should find lots of support or at the very least an ear here. As far as location, under the banner is the Usermap, to help you locate some close-by people. Now mind you it's not all inclusive , mainly because it's not mandatory, but it's fairly robust.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through with your medical conditions. I know one person who is also having severe Heart complications and pacemaker issues... it has made a real of her life. I can empathize if not sympathize. I work third shift and if you're ever up in the middle of the night (EST) I can't hop on chat but will happily exchange emails or PM's with you about whatever topic you wish.

-Dave
(December 5, 2011 at 10:10 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: We don't lie very well though Undecided

I'm just waiting for someone to jump all over this one... Tongue
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New New Quid 23 4834 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman