Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here and new to atheism
New here and new to atheism
Hi. My name is Sarah and I am in North Carolina. I was raised in a religious home. My dad was a preacher and my brother was as well. I went to religious schools as well as a religious college. I think I have always doubted religion but was always too afraid to admit it. I have been in serious doubt for the last 5 years and recently just "came out of the closet" as an atheist. I have not had many people give me a hard time except for when they ask me to "prove there is no god". My response to them is always "how can i prove something doesn't exist if you can't prove it does". That doesnt seem to work for them. Anyway, sorry for rambling on about this but just wanted to introduce myself.
RE: New here and new to atheism
Welcome aboard!
Welcome, you could just shout into the sky asking for lightning. Worked for me once or twice in secondary school. Mostly because they don't want to continue associating with the crazy person shouting at the sky in a crowded place. I wish I was more like that these days Big Grin
Welcome.

(Be prepared to be told that you either have no morals or secretly believe in god.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Nothing wrong with a rambler.

(Aside from the shitty design, crap looks, and terrible reliability. My family had a Rambler for about four months. It was one of the butt ugliest cars I've ever seen. All the doors except the driver's door on our Rambler were broken, which meant that any time someone wanted to get in or out, the driver had to get out and let them crawl in or out through his door. My dad was curiously proud of it for some reason, and kept trying to point out its virtues to us. Up until the day he sold it, that is.)

(March 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm)Faith No More Wrote: (Be prepared to be told that you either have no morals or secretly believe in god.)

Or that you secretly believe in no morals.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome! Don't worry- no response you give them will work.
Quote: My response to them is always "how can i prove something doesn't exist if you can't prove it does". That doesnt seem to work for them.

Of course not. "Thinking" is a difficult exercise for such people. Relax. Come here to talk about this kind of stuff and with the xtians talk about the weather or something.

Welcome.
Welcome
Welcome.
Heyo and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here and pretty depressed (Kinda long) KrystalVisions 10 2849 March 7, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Here is what atheism is. Lemonvariable72 1 762 November 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  New here and need advice Kalyssat 24 4030 October 18, 2014 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6613 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United
  New here, not new to atheism. DrFreud 10 2078 March 5, 2013 at 9:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Wink New here and I'm probably gonna sound mean! CR88 29 8493 May 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4027 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  New member here, and a Christian thechristophershow 30 6398 October 1, 2010 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger