Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empirical evidence of the "Holy Spirit"
Empirical evidence of the "Holy Spirit"
How is the indwelling Jesus of Pauline theology empirically manifested? Paul would say that the "fruit of the Spirit" provides such. However, the so-called fruits of the Spirit are common human virtues--

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control.

Can anyone offer the empirical evidence for which I am calling?
RE: Empirical evidence of the "Holy Spirit"
(December 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm)Barre Wrote: How is the indwelling Jesus of Pauline theology empirically manifested? Paul would say that the "fruit of the Spirit" provides such. However, the so-called fruits of the Spirit are common human virtues--

The Holy Spirit is part of the Christian triune god,which in turn is only one of the millions of gods human beings have worshipped.

So far ,nobody has ever provided any empirical evidence for ANY god. Due to the total lack of credible evidence to the contrary, I'm forced to conclude,that all gods,without exception,were probably invented by humans for humans.

Quote:Religion: man's attempt to communicate with the weather (anon)

So far the only potential empirical evidence I have heard of is personal experiences. I honestly believe the people who have them think they really did experience God but I believe it is them experiencing some of the many wonders of the human brain.

However some people have them and some don't and sometimes people claim different things with them. It is a bit hard to nail down and nothing can be demonstrated outside of their own experience to you. Essentially it is a proof, although I think its a misunderstanding, to themselves alone.

The indwelling jesus is often expressed with a good fart.
Trying to update my sig ...
Show me evidence of the holy spirit and I'll show you a black chiropodist with a sense of humour

The biggest problem is with the language. (I am speaking in my professional capacity as a Romance-novel editor now.)

Like the word "theory," which is used in two senses: 1) A hypothesis, or dubious claim B) A logical edifice which accounts for all extant facts

the word "evidence" has two meanings as well. Since all sides of the issue wish to stick to "their" definitions of the word (theist=subjective events are evidence, atheist=no they aren't), even that basic chasm cannot be bridged.

And when playing bridge, generally y'all have to use the same deck. 'Taint fair to deal hands out of different decks.

Neither side is particularly interested in yielding ground on even basic definitions of terms, as even that minor concession might be viewed as "surrender" or "retreat." So each side lobs salvos at the other, then posts YouTube videos with pithy titles like "Christian OOOOWWWWWNS athiest" or "Dawkins DESTROYS Mexican Masked Lucha Libre Wrestler/Christian Apologist."

I think everyone gets more fun out of the argument than actually convincing anyone of anything. Could be wrong though.

James.

Angry Lynch Mob

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
Excepting the fact that the two sides of necessity trade on different terms and consequently speak different languages. For an atheist to speak "xtian" that person would have to be xtian. So really, when it comes down to any such thing as "proof" or "evidence," the atheist side must expect to get no real answer, and when it comes to faith, the xtian side must expect the atheist side to express disgust due to lack of aforementioned evidence.
Trying to update my sig ...
(December 10, 2011 at 4:14 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Show me evidence of the holy spirit and I'll show you a black chiropodist with a sense of humour

I feel there is a tale to tell here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm)Barre Wrote: How is the indwelling Jesus of Pauline theology empirically manifested? Paul would say that the "fruit of the Spirit" provides such. However, the so-called fruits of the Spirit are common human virtues--

NO.

Why?

Because it's not real, Mr Pantheist.

Hope that helps.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(December 10, 2011 at 8:20 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote:

NO.

Why?

Because it's not real, Mr Pantheist.

Hold on. Someone may yet try to offer such evidence.

Dr. Panteist

Hope that helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 357 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8551 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4615 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37841 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28173 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20249 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6025 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 238755 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 133829 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 82844 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished